Kitchen drain runs UP HILL?

Old 09-23-07, 09:11 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen drain runs UP HILL?

Our daughter and her husband just purchased a home and each time they viewed the home the owners had candles burning on the kitchen counter. Well the inspection made no mention of a FOWL ODOR around the sink area. Once they moved in and the candles weren't burning they noticed this odor. They asked me and I suggested they run a few lemons thru the disposal and see if such would help. After this didn't work I discovered that the line from the trap to the wall runs, UP HILL. Their sink appears to be a normal depth unit, it is a stainless undermount. The disposal is a top of the line unit and my question is this....

DO ALL DISPOSALS HAVE THE SAME MEASUREMENT FROM THE MOUNTING RING TO THE OUTLET PORT? It appears that the flow is up hill by approx. 2". At present waste water is standing in the disposal and also up to the bottom of where it falls in the wall vertical pipe.

I know I can cut out a portion of the cabinet back and lower the entry point of the drain, but first wanted to run this problem by you all and see what comments you might have.

I trust I have explained the issue in a understandable way, and I do THANK YOU for your time and thoughts, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-23-07, 10:53 AM
P
all disposals do not have the same outlet height but they're pretty close. you won't be able to get 2" of difference with any of them. does the disposal hava a 90 degree elbow on it and connect to a horizontal pipe that then goes to a tee? if it does, you can take the 90 out and get a regular tailpiece to put on the outlet of the disposal. run that to the continuous waste tee and shorten the tailpiece on the other side of the sink. that should get you at least a 2" rise. if the disposal already has a straight pipe leaving it, your only option is to lower the san tee in the wall. not a real huge job, well worth it to have a well draining and not stinking kitchen sink.

paul

Old 09-23-07, 11:15 AM
S
Thanks,

It does at present have a STRAIGHT horizonal pipe, so it is either LOWERING THE WALL INLET, or RAISE THE COUNTER TOP. Stan is 6'-6" and daughter is tall as well so a RAISED top would work to their advantage.

Will decide today at party at their house.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-23-07, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Or get rid of the disposer. If the home is a on a septic, that kind of stuff doesn't need to be going down the drain anyway.

Old 09-23-07, 06:35 PM
S
Pendragon, I hear you, but how do you tell your daughter that in their $900,000. home that they should throw away a disposal. They are on city sewer, so we will lower the drain opening and solve it once and for all.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Old 09-24-07, 02:44 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You'd think a $900,000, they could have done a better job on the install.

Makes you wonder where else they cut corners at, doesn't it.

Old 09-24-07, 06:56 AM
S
They have learned this morning that the plans called for the kitchen counter to be 3' higher, but at the last minute the wife asked the cabinet maker to change such, so this explains why the difference. The plumber hooking up the kitchen should have noticed this though.

I am going back over this afternoon to make my final decision on how to correct, so at this moment I don't know if the vertical pipe is 1-1/2" schedule 40 or 2". The home was built in 2005. I will know when is see such, but just wondered if you might have a quess?

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Is there such a thing as 1/2 of a TEE? I seem to recall seeing such that would allow me to plug the present inlet hole and below such drill a new inlet hole, then glue a 1/2 TEE to the pipe. Am I dreaming or what??????

Old 09-24-07, 06:52 PM
P
i don't think i've seen any 1/2 tees like you describe. if they did exist, i wouldn't use it. it sounds like something that would be a future leak issue. if i had to guess i'd say that the tee in the wall is a 2" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" san tee. that's 2" going down and 1 1/2" leaving the wall and heading up the wall for the vent. cutting the tee out and lowering it would be the best choice by far. if there's room (assuming the sink isn't on an outside wall and doesn't already have a cleanout) it might be a good idea to put a test tee just above the new san tee to serve as a clean out.

paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: