New kitchen sink & faucet. Do I need Dishwasher aerator?

Old 09-25-07, 08:50 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New kitchen sink & faucet. Do I need Dishwasher aerator?

I'm replacing my kitchen sink and faucet and using the existing garbage disposal. Currently my dishwasher has an aerotor attached to the relief tube via a T, with the other end going to the garbage disposal. Do I need the aerator if I make sure relief tube hangs high under sink?

Old 09-25-07, 08:55 AM
N
Dual sink, plus garbage disposal, plus dishwasher, minus aerator?

I am in the same boat. Redoing a kitchen. Have a new sink with two drains, a new garbage disposal, and a new dishwasher. The faucet my wife bought has a spray handle that would go where the aerator would be. Do I need an aerator (by code in Maryland, or by necessity) for the diswasher? Or do I just need to make a loop of hose high enough? If so , how high is that? Also, do I need to hook up two traps, because I have two a two-drain dual sink, one of which will have the disposal under it? Or is there a way of properly hooking up the non-disposal drain into the wasteline somewhere below the garbage disposal?

Old 09-25-07, 09:18 AM
M
Is the existing "aerotor" or "air gap" mounted in the countertop ? or Sink ? Are you replacing the D/W ? Most new D/W's dont require one. Was the disposal installed after the Dishwasher? or at the same time ?

If mounted the c-top, how will you fill the hole ? If mounted in the sink, does your new sink have a hole to accomidate the "aerotor" ?

The aerotor acts as a stack vent, however, the disposal will serve the same purpose. There are drawbacks

I refer you to "search forums" titled, Installing a dishwasher air-gap. refer to 3/22/05 and 4/22/05. They pretty much exhaust the subject.

Good luck

T

Old 09-25-07, 09:42 AM
K
MissTFried

It is mounted on the sink. I am not replacing the dishwasher. I just purchased the house, so I don't know exact age of it. I'm guessing 6-7 years old. I'm not sure about disposal age either. Probably about the same age.

New sink does have hole for aerator. I was going to put soap dispensor in there.

Old 09-25-07, 10:35 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It is NOT an aerator but a discharge air gap. Most plumbing codes require it and the "high loop" is NOT recommended.

Without the air gap there exists a possibility that sewer water could back up into the dishwasher if the main (or sink) drain becomes plugged.

neofixerupper, usually two bowl sinks have their drains connected together by a tee fitting and then to one trap before connecting to the drain in the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: