Looking for a Toilet that will save water

Old 09-26-07, 01:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for a Toilet that will save water

Does anyone know if there are toilets that only require one flush and saves water?
David

Old 09-26-07, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
David: All of the toilets you purchase, now, only use 1.6 gallons of water per flush. This is federally mandated. Look for a 3" flapper and trapway. This tends to allow more water move faster through the toilet and flush more completely. I just renovated a bathroom at our rental cabin and installed a Glacier Bay (not very expensive) toilet with 3" waterway, 17" height (why it isn't code, I'll never know). It seems to flush alot more completely and faster than the ones in our house. May have to change them out too. Kohler, American Standard, and others make very good toilets, too, although they will cost a little more.

Old 09-26-07, 06:44 PM
I hear a lot complain about the low flush toilet but Ive been happy with ours the county offered a 75 rebate per toliet to change so I bought American standard mid range

as I recall they where about 150 each , they work great

occasionally have to flush twice but Ive never seen a toilet that didn't

the change in the water bill was noticeable

I think the key is to spend a few dollars and don't buy the 39.00 contractor spec special

Old 09-27-07, 04:41 AM
D
What makes your Glacier Bay more efficient?
Is anyone familiar with the dual flush system?
David

Old 09-27-07, 05:52 AM
D
Mango man,
I actually meant, what makes your American Standard more efficient?
David

Old 09-27-07, 01:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You're asking for the best of both worlds - better flush with less water. There are toilets with an assist on the flush that makes it more efficient.

Old 09-27-07, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Likewise I was extolling the nice flush and the low cost of the Glacier Bay. I probably wouldn't put it in a higher end house. I have installed Kohler toilets (not sure of the model), but after install and a test flush I was just glad I wasn't on the toilet when I flushed. I think it would suck a basketball down. Really efficient. But really costly. I think it ran over $350. Like Mitch17, I have seen toilets that use a bladder to "supercharge" the flow of water, but have no first hand experience with them.

Old 09-28-07, 11:01 AM
D
Oh well! I thought that since I'm finally replacing a toilet in my own house (not a rental unit), I could find one that would be worth the extra cost b/c it would pay me back in a few years of water savings. Also, a help on the environment. I did hear of a dual flush which I think the user chooses which flush to use depending on what went in the toilet.
David

Old 09-28-07, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by djosephs View Post
Mango man,
I actually meant, what makes your American Standard more efficient?
David
I don't know they just have always worked well , as I stated they weren't the cheapest or the most expensive . mid range

Ive seen them in the big box's for 39 or so and I suspect those are the kind that could /would require multi flushes

occasionally they take two flushes and occasionally they need to be plunged but I recall having the same issues with the high volume ones also

when we did ours we noticed a major drop in the water bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: