Scald-Guard Shower Faucet Replacement?

Old 09-26-07, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scald-Guard Shower Faucet Replacement?

Since I bought this house 3 years ago, this shower has leaked a slow drip. I finally took it apart, and this is what we have.

We have a lot of calcium and/or lime in our water, so I think it's time that this faucet be replaced. What exactly do I want to look for when I hit Lowes/Home Depot? What size are the fittings?

Also, how do I remove this thing? Do I spin the fittings, or are they soldered on? I can see solder around the fittings, so does that mean I have to cut and sweat the pipe? I have 2 other bathrooms, so it's not urgent, but I'd like to take care of this ASAP.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 11:54 PM
I took the white part off the end, and this is behind it.

Does this come off?

Here are a few shots of the white thing.

How much of this stuff do I need to replace to stop the drip? Do I need the entire brass body? Do I just need the white thing? The blue thing? What are these things called?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-07, 12:03 AM
P
if all you want to do is stop the drip and not replace the valve, take the part you removed from the valve as well as the two springs and rubber cups that are shown in your second pic. you can dig these out with a toothpick or something pointy, don't gouge up the brass though. they should pop out very easily.

if you want to replace the entire vavle you're best to just cut the copper lines with a saw and sweat in a new vavle. i'm not a fan of the pipe thread valves if the house is plumbed in copper. it's just another joint that can leak.

paul

Old 09-27-07, 12:08 AM
Thanks Paul.

So in this picture...

Those little black rubber grommets come out? And there are springs behind them? When I remove those little black grommets, will the springs come flying out? After I dig all these parts out, do I just take them to Lowes? Are they pretty common where they will have the stuff on the shelf for me?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-07, 12:14 AM
P
yes, those black rubber pieces are little rubber cups. behind them are cone shaped springs that are about 1/4" tall. they won't come "flying" out but will probably fall out if you aren't ready to catch them. put a cloth over the drain and you should be fine. home depot and lowes can be spotty on what replacement parts they carry, that looks like a generic style vavle so the cartridge might not be there. if there are no grooves in the metal disc that is on the bottom of the piece you removed you can probably fix the drip with just a pair of new springs and cups. that is if they don't have the cartridge. i'd replace all the parts if they're available. the springs and cups are delta parts, found in delta/peerless faucets and shower valves. they will definately have those.

paul

Old 09-27-07, 12:18 AM
Is this what I need?

Delta # RP4993

and

Delta # RP1991

Old 09-27-07, 12:27 AM
P
that's exactly what you need. like i said, you can probably get by with just the springs and cups but if the parts are available, just replace it all. i should warn you that the cartridge is expensive, probably $60 or more. since this isn't your only shower, if you can wait a few days or maybe a week give delta a call. they will send you a new cartridge for free. you could replace the springs/cups at lowes/h.d. for a few bucks and wait for the new cartridge in the mail.

paul

Old 09-27-07, 12:30 AM
Really? They give free replacement parts? I am the second owner of this home, and it's hard to tell how old these parts are. How do I get the stuff free?

Old 09-27-07, 12:34 AM
P
call delta. i don't have their number but i'm sure there's a 1-800 number that you can find online. www.delta.com or something like that hopefully. you have the part numbers so just ask for those. if they ask, you are the original owner. that's the trick. most major plumbing companies guarantee their faucets/shower valves for life now.

paul

Old 09-27-07, 05:08 AM
In this photo, on the bottom, is that the way this thing is supposed to look, or is it broken?

Old 09-27-07, 05:01 PM
P
that part looks normal to me. even if there's a chip or something it shouldn't affect the valve. all that hole does is send the water to the shower head. the two upper ones are where the hot and cold enter. those are the ones that would cause a dripping faucet. but yeah, it looks normal to me.

paul

Old 10-03-07, 03:18 AM
J
Talking

Great thread! Very helpful for others as well as the original poster!

Old 10-10-07, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoshCA View Post
Great thread! Very helpful for others as well as the original poster!
Agreed! I've got the exact same Delta shower valve and it needs the same fix.

Old 10-10-07, 03:11 PM
To wrap this up, I ordered and replaced all the parts, the springs, rubbers, and the cartridge...and it don't leak a drop now. Great fix and great help. Thanks a lot for the help!!

Old 10-12-07, 07:21 AM
T
Glad it worked out for you. I had really good luck with the Delta website identifying the parts needed for a discontinued model in my house, and it's only 16 years old.

So, what is the model number of the faucet? I see you listed some of the inner part numbers you needed but not of the entire unit.

Tom