Lasco shower surround

Old 09-27-07, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lasco shower surround

While doing some pipe repair , The shower surround Cracked. It is a 2 piece Lasco Shower/tub, that had apparently been "SHOEHORNED" into place. Home improvement stores have "UNIVERSAL " shower surrounds, LAsco also makes a 3 piece,Identical to my 2 piece (With the exception of the obvious)which would work out well except the tub wont come out, or new one in without major "DEMOLITION" to the bathroom.

I'm a bit skeptical about the universals, and really hate to spent the cash on the 3 piece, just to leave a brand new tub in the garage.Repair is out of the loop because once it is fixed, how do I get it back in?

An opinion or two would be really great....thanks.

Old 09-27-07, 06:41 PM
P
well, you've pretty much listed all the options. either repair the crack or replace it. how about remove the upper part and put up some cement board so you can tile the surround? otherwise, you'll need to replace it. i doubt you can buy just the surround from lasco and if you buy a 2 piece tub/shower you'll have to measure and drill the mating holes since they are not in the same place on any 2 units. if it were me, i think i'd replace the tub with a new one and tile the surround.

paul

Old 10-02-07, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with Paul, cbu and tile. It is too simple, and you will kick yourself for even thinking of putting in the three piece junk. Flimsy, leaky, and other adjectives. If you decide to tile, and aren't sure you can do it, you can. Just let us know, and we can answer almost any questions you can come up with. Just add to this post whenever it comes up.

Old 10-02-07, 05:30 PM
This all started from a shoddy plumbing job just a few months before I moved in. The shower head leaked into the wall, and just made the ultimate mess out of everything in its path.

One last option to put past you guys. The pipes are finally fixed , "NO MORE LEAKS" ( I guess I can Untack the hefty bags from the wall now)I got the surround back in place for the time being. The crack is major enough to leak , but structurally healthy. it snaps right back where it was without a problem. Can it be repaired "IN PLACE"" . I realize I will have to get someone in to do it, But before I have to smash in into 12 pieces to take it out of the building,, is it possible.

Old 10-03-07, 12:17 AM
P
i have seen plenty of "repaired" fiberglass tubs and showers. they all either showed some sign of leakage or were giant ugly scars on the fiberglass. based on my experience, i wouldn't recomend paying to have it repaired.

paul

Old 10-03-07, 03:06 AM
J
Thumbs up

See this thread for your possible fix:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=13175

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: