Mind the gap

Old 10-03-07, 08:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mind the gap

I just installed a Danco Universal Tub Spout to replace my old one which had a diverter problem. After a bit of trouble getting the old one off (broke the end a bit with an adjustable wrench) and the new one on (I tried to put it on by hand only and it got stuck pointing up in the air) I got it installed using a borrowed strap wrench (what a brilliant invention).

My problem is when I installed it I kept the same circular back plate which went between the old spout and the tiled wall. Now with the new spout on, the bottom of the back edge of the spout hit the back plate before the top edge.

Now the spout is on, pointing in the right direction and it took a fair amount of torque to get it there; but I am left with a small but noticable gap between the top back edge of the spout and the chrome back plate. About wide enough to get a fingernail in. But the bottom edge is jammed hard against the back.

I am worried about trying to tighten it another full turn and either breaking the spout, the back plate or the pipe itself. I would like to just seal up the gap along the top but I do not know what to use so it doesn't look terrible. Any suggestions?

Old 10-03-07, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
A fingernail depth is not a gap, just a nuisance. You should be caulking it anyway to prevent water infiltration, so with a smooth application of silicone (colored to match your tile or grout), and a good wipe down, you probably won't notice the gap, er, nuisance.

Old 10-03-07, 05:00 PM
D
The gap, sorry nuisance is between the spout and what I think is called an escutcheon, rather than between anything and the tile. I don't suppose there is any kind of caulking that would blend in between two pieces of chrome?

I was thinking of just getting a rubber o-ring and slipping it on there. Based on the thinking that if I can't hide it maybe I could make it look like it is supposed to be there.

Old 10-03-07, 08:53 PM
P
you could just use clear silicone. the other option is to measure the gap, remove the spout and file the bottom of the spout the same amount as the gap. this way you'll even it all out.

paul

Old 10-05-07, 10:35 AM
D
Well I have worked out the problem but not the solution. None of my makeshift ideas have met my wife's approval.

So the problem with it is the iron pipe which comes out of the wall is sloped down at an angle. Which makes sense since you don't want it to be completely level so water doesn't lie in it. But the spout is made so the back end of it is perpendicular to the pipe, so when the pipe is not completely horizontal the back of the spout will not be completely vertical. Hence the problem I have.

I tried bending the pipe slightly to lessen the problem but I am afriad of breaking it where it connects to the copper behind the wall. Also I can't file the bottom of the spout to even it out because then it would just leave an even gap all around the spout instead of no gap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: