The back of the toilet is leaking

Old 10-07-07, 01:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The back of the toilet is leaking

Hello All

I'm having a problem here. I first noticed a damp area around the toilet about 48 hours ago. The first few times, I just assumed someone had just showered or gotten the area wet, but when it was continually wet, I realized something was wrong.

I have an American Standard 6.0 lpf / 1.6 gpf toilet.

I have added a picture of the area that is leaking. I have tried tightening all the parts in that area, but it continues to drip about 1 drip per second.

I am unsure of the origin of the water, but it is dripping from around the "base" of that white bolt thing (I don't know what it is called LOL)

Any help at all is greatly appreciated

-SW

Old 10-07-07, 03:45 PM
J
Picture makes it easier, thanks. The washer or the fitting is NG. Replace the whole pipe with a 9" or 12" stainless flex pipe available at home/hardware stores. Follow directions, don't overtighten.

And make sure the nut on the fairly new looking Fluidmaster toilet valve is snug.

Old 10-07-07, 08:04 PM
S
Smile

Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Picture makes it easier, thanks. The washer or the fitting is NG. Replace the whole pipe with a 9" or 12" stainless flex pipe available at home/hardware stores. Follow directions, don't overtighten.

And make sure the nut on the fairly new looking Fluidmaster toilet valve is snug.
Not to reveal my ignorance (but hey, it was bound to happen LOL) but I'm sort of lost.

-"The washer or fitting is NG." What's NG?

-"Replace the whole pipe..." Is that the metal pipe leading from the tank to the floor/shut off valve?

-"Make sure the nut on the fairly new looking Fluidmaster toilet valve is snug" What is the Fluidmaster? Is that something in my picture? LOL

I really want to thank you for your help - I really like solving these problems without having to call a professional to do it for me

SW

Old 10-07-07, 08:14 PM
P
NG means "no good".

on the other end of the metal tubing there is a shut off vavle. turn the valve off and loosen the both nuts on the silver metal tube. the white on you show in the picture and the metal one at the valve. if you have a pair of tin snips or heavy shears it makes it easier to just cut the metal supply tube in half and remove the pieces. now you can replace it with a flexible rubber supply line. get the one that is covered with braided stainless steel, they're like 8 bucks at home depot. get a pair of pliers and make sure the smaller white nut that is above the one that's leaking is tight, don't crank on it too much just make sure it doesn't want to tighten any more and you're fine. now tighten the metal nut on the supply line to the vavle with a wrench and the plastic nut to the toilet with your hands and give it a snug up with a pair of pliers. don't over tighten the plastic one. turn the water on and give it a test.

paul

Old 10-08-07, 04:03 AM
J
Oopppsss, sorry, I assume that people that are asking DIY questions have some knowledge of what they are getting into. I would recommend a DIY plumbing book, while you are at big box, to familiarize yourself with the components.

Old 10-08-07, 05:19 AM
S
Forget the "book at a big box" idea when you can go to a REAL hardware store where someone with actual knowledge will take the time to instruct you on how to repair your toilet.

Your project is simple and straightforward.A qualified salesperson can show you the parts you need and how to install them.

Old 10-08-07, 07:24 AM
C
Received 138 Votes on 111 Posts
SPDavid - Problem is, the big boxes have driven most of the real hardware stores out of business. The few survivors in my area deal mainly with commercial customers. Some will no longer sell to the non professional. Those that do typically charge more than the big box for identical products.

I have two "hardware" stores nearby. One has a knowledgeable staff, but a very limited stock and they are very expensive. The other hires the same unskilled employee as the big box. In my area the nearest plumbing supply is a 30 minute drive one way. The nearest big box is 5 minutes, with another color big box 10 minutes away. Guess where I do most of my shopping? Based on the number of cars in the big box parking lots, a lot of other people do the same thing.

I've learned to shop at the big box and ask questions in forums like this.

Old 10-08-07, 08:00 AM
S
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
NG means "no good".

on the other end of the metal tubing there is a shut off vavle. turn the valve off and loosen the both nuts on the silver metal tube. the white on you show in the picture and the metal one at the valve. if you have a pair of tin snips or heavy shears it makes it easier to just cut the metal supply tube in half and remove the pieces. now you can replace it with a flexible rubber supply line. get the one that is covered with braided stainless steel, they're like 8 bucks at home depot. get a pair of pliers and make sure the smaller white nut that is above the one that's leaking is tight, don't crank on it too much just make sure it doesn't want to tighten any more and you're fine. now tighten the metal nut on the supply line to the vavle with a wrench and the plastic nut to the toilet with your hands and give it a snug up with a pair of pliers. don't over tighten the plastic one. turn the water on and give it a test.

paul
Thank you very much, Paul!

And thank you Just Bill, spdavid, and cwbuff, as well

I will try out some suggestions, fix it as soon as I have the time, and report back (hopefully that it worked!)

Thanks again,

SW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: