Shower leaking--not the head

Old 10-11-07, 02:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower leaking--not the head

I look out my kitchen window yesterday in a nice sunny day and see water dripping off my hardboard and soffet outside. My son is directly upstairs in the shower.

I did some troubleshooting and the leak occurs when the shower is on.

The showerhead isn't dripping, it's something leaking behind the tile wall.

I figured I should take off the showerhead and take a look but will I still see a leak if the water is turned off?

Where is a likely area for this type of leak?

Old 10-11-07, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it is a tub/shower unit, and it only happens in the shower mode, then it could be anything from the shower head down to the diverter. Bad news is you have to get behind that wall to fix it. Rather than tearing down the tile, consider going from the outside, it may be possible to remove siding to access the back of the unit.

Old 10-11-07, 03:43 PM
J
It is a tub/shower unit. The opposite side of the showerhead is my bedroom so I could get access their if needed.

I plan to take the showerhead off and cap it, then turn the water on to see if I can get a peak at any leaks.

I was wondering if their were any common leak areas for a shower?

Old 10-11-07, 04:15 PM
That's good that it can be accessed from an inside wall. I just was confused by you stating you saw water dripping on the outside of your house. I gather, now, that the bathroom is cantilevered at that point. Not sure how you will detect the leak after capping the shower head, since you can't see the remainder of the piping. You may want to remove the exiting pipe in the wall and ensure there is sufficient teflon tape on that connection before you pressure test it.

Old 10-11-07, 06:51 PM
P
good idea on capping the shower riser. that will tell you if it's the water lines or the drain. possible leak points that i'd check would be the shower arm being cracked where it enters the 90 behind the shower, the tub spout/diverter leaking water into the wall when it's diverting water to the shower and then the drain. if it's the shower arm, it will probably break when you try and remove it. you can get the remaining piece out with an inside wrench or easy out. if it's the tub spout/diverter you can probably repair it with a new diverter and not have to cut open the wall. good luck.

paul

Old 10-12-07, 10:33 AM
J
I briefly tried turning the shower arm last night and it wasn't budging. I plan to get more involved with it tonight. Thanks for the warning on it possibly breaking.

Is the arm usually connected to a simple 90 degree elbow?

Old 10-12-07, 04:19 PM
There is a brass "eared" elbow connector, that SHOULD be attached to a framing member to make it rigid. I say "should", because in alot of remodels I do, I find the riser pipe just sitting there dinking around with no support.

Old 10-18-07, 02:37 PM
J
Still not fixed

A very slow simple drip where the elbow is connected to the showerhead neck. I put new new teflon tape on it and put it back on but I'm still getting a massive drip outside when the shower is on.......usually. Twice it didn't happen. Not sure why.

I suppose the next step is to go at the diverter? It's a Delta. The cold and hot have their own handles and the showerhead is turned on by pulling on the end of the spicket.

I took the spicket off after the shower was on and didn't feel any dampness but I was very limited on how much I could access.

Any advice of likely leak areas on this area or any other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: