Toilet, possible slow leak inside bowl

Old 10-17-07, 11:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet, possible slow leak inside bowl

i have a somewhat new toilet, 5 year old, so is house. i notice that when the toilet is done recycling that i look into the bowl and see a slow seapage of water coming down the back of the bowl, inside the toilet. it doesn't show any water on the floor. the float seems to be in place, when i raise the float arm the water doesn't stop leaking inside the bowl. not alot of water, just enough to run the water bill up. whats up? what can i do? thanks

Old 10-17-07, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Is the water overflowing into the stand pipe inside the tank? If so, you need to reset the float to stop the water about 5/8" below the top of the pipe. Tell us what type float system you have, ie. ball type, fluidmaster 400 with gray vertical tube and black cup, etc. Check the flapper valve as well, as they deteriorate quickly, especially if you are using those toilet additives, blue stuff.

Old 10-17-07, 07:34 PM
T
toilet leaking

its a ball type float. the water inside the back tank is sitting about an inch below the labeled water line. its an eljer brand. no, it is not overflowing over the fill pipe. its just a small trickle of water in the bowl trickling down the backside of the bowl. you can't hear it or anything. it just seems to be alot and my water bill has been high lately. the flapper is fine. it gets stuck every now and then but you can hear that when the water doesn't shut off. please help.

Old 10-18-07, 08:21 AM
T
You may THINK the flapper is fine, but I'd bet it's not. They are really cheap to replace. Then you'd know for SURE.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 10-19-07, 11:51 AM
M
Yep, that very much sounds like a bad flapper. If you want further proof, drop some food coloring in the tank, and see if it trickles into the bowl. Im willing to bet the flapper is the problem. Make sure you get an appropriate replacement flapper (ie, dont get a 1.6 gpf flapper if it is a 3.5 gpf toilet). If that doesn't fix the problem, you may have to replace the entire flush valve, as the flapper seat may be worn out as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: