Bathroom sink leaks - suddenly & spontaneously!

Old 10-20-07, 06:58 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink leaks - suddenly & spontaneously!

The bathroom sink pop-up has never worked properly for the year or so I've lived in this apt, but when water started leaking from the drain body at the pivot I decided to replace it.

Now I have spontaneous sudden leaking from the connection between tail pipe and the pipe leading to the p-trap. Even though I've not used the sink/faucets, every few hours (eg approx 12-noon, then again at 4.15pm, then again at 7.45pm) water suddenly leaks out this connection (about 1-2 cups). Could the p-trap be clogged so that this is now causing these 3 to 4 hour leakings?

(When I say suddenly - I mean I suddenly hear water dripping/running and when I look under the sink it is running down the outside of the pipes.)

It is odd that it does it suddenly and with no warning.

As it is Sat eve, I thought I'd close the sink hot and cold water shut off valves and deal with it tomorrow, but now the closed shut off valves are dripping!

Any idea what has caused all this plumbing mayhem? Could it be that my fiddling around to replace the pop-up has dislodged all the pipe connections??? Could it be something to do with something going on in another apartment in my condo, as the water has been switched off for 2 hours the past 2 days for some maintenance or something.

Are both problems connected - the spontaneous leaking at the connection and the dripping shut-off valves?

Help! Is this something I could tackle myself (I'm no home-repair expert but I replaced the pop-up, so if it's easy I think I could do it), or do I need to get a plumber in?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

K

Old 10-21-07, 08:06 AM
Sink Leak

1: If you live in a apt. or condo isn't it the responsibility of the management to fix these probs.?

2: A leak from the valves is probably from lack of use of the valves, most of the time if you snug up the nut below the handle it should stop, if you are not sure about doing this leave them alone, a mistake will cause major probs.

3: If you hear water running and you are not using the sink and you have leaks at your drain it sounds like there is a clog in the line that is connected to another apt. I still think that management needs to solve the prob. In a condo you don't own the major lines in the building. Luck.

Old 10-21-07, 10:19 AM
K
All fixed now - I hope!

Hi Shacko,

Thanks for your reply. As I own the condo, Im responsible for all the pipes and fittings in it, and therefore responsible (unfortunately) for the leaky pipes under the sink.

However, I just had the building super come round and he has replaced all the rubber gaskets in the connections, cleaned out the p-trap and put it all back together tightening all the connections. Knock on wood, I hope this works.

He also put Teflon tape on the leaky stop valves so hopefully that will stop them from dripping.

Much as I was reluctant to pay someone to sort this out, it only cost me $50 better than the many hundreds of dollars Id have to pay if the leak continued and damaged my downstairs neighbors apartment.

Ill let you know if this solution fails, but so far so good!

K

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: