Dripping shower

Old 10-21-07, 05:21 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dripping shower

I have a shower that is dripping at the head. The packing (?)(I'm not a plumber!) was recently replaced. It stopped leaking for several months but is leaking again.

I have hear about a product called DripStop on the radio home improvement show.

Is anyone familar with this product? Does it really work and would you suggest it?

URL is http://www.dripstop.com/

Thanks for any advice...

Old 10-22-07, 04:28 AM
J
If replacing the faucet washers, orings, or whatever it has, does not fix the problem for more than a few weeks, there may be corrosion or scratches on the valve seat. Single handle or multiple?? Single handles usually have a ball with rubber gromets, the ball becomes rough and chews up new gromets quickly. Multiple handles have washers that close on a seat. The seat becomes rough which grinds up the washer. Most seats are replaceable as are the balls. For single handle faucets with a cartridge, replacing the cartridge usually solves the problem.

Old 10-22-07, 05:20 AM
N
Thanks for the reply Bill.

I should had probably stated that it is a shower only (no bathtub) and has both hot and cold handles.

Old 10-22-07, 11:56 AM
A seat and washer will cost you about $2, plus labor. I didn't catch the cost of the drip stop. It looks like a good idea...sort of; unless it costs too much. And, I would suspect that if you have a torn up seat ( not unusual ) it will tear up the drip stopper as well.

Maybe this is a better mousetrap. Worth trying if it does not cost too much. If you have a Moen, Delta, or Kohler faucet, this will not work. But there are millions of P/P, Gerber, Sayco, etc.etc. out there that this should work on.

Old 10-24-07, 08:30 PM
N
The Drip Stop is about $4 or so.

To buy a new seat/washer, do I need to know the brand of the faucet? I have no idea of the brand. Wilol it say somehwere? BTW, the handles have been replaced so it won't say there. I guess that Home Depot or Lowes would be the place to go?

I have noticed in the last week that when I shut the water off with the handle, it doesn't have any "cushion" when it stops. It is just a hard stop like an o-ring is gone or something.

Thanks again guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: