Kitchen sink/garbage disposal hookup

Old 10-24-07, 07:17 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink/garbage disposal hookup

I am doing a kitchen refurb and am changing the sink, which is a double (equal bays) to one which is also a double but with one side larger than the other.
My question is - Is there a preferred side to which I would hook up the garbage disposal? Is one side functionally better that the other? If so, which side - large or small?

Thanks,

Mo

Old 10-24-07, 10:34 PM
P
i don't think it really matters. most folks use the smaller one for the disposal. if one is deeper than the other, you might need to put the disposal in the shallow one for space considerations.

paul

Old 10-25-07, 05:17 AM
A
I agree. Its generally a easier hookup to use the shallow bay as the disposal and leaves more room under your sink also.

Old 10-25-07, 05:19 AM
M
The obvious advantage of a small/large bowl is there more room in the large sink than in an equal bowl sink.

In every kitchen I have remodeled using this sink configuration, the client has opted to put the disposal in
the small bowl, which I agree was the best choice.

Your only consideration should be, is how you will utilize the sink. If you stack stuff in it or use it as a cooking staging area, then you probably won't want stuff in the way when you need to use the garbage disposal.

The avantage to putting the disposal in the small bowl is the small bowl isn't typically used to hold pots, and pans or plates and glasses. It's just too small, so it remains a place for rincing and disposing.

Old 10-25-07, 07:42 AM
A
Thanks, guys! Especially MissT!

Something else comes to mind. I read someplace that the garbage disposal switch should be located beyond simultaneous reach of the disposal itself.
This is an older house, with a kitchen layout which does not totally satisfy this standard. Since I'm refurbing the kitchen, but locating the sink in the same position, do I have to relocate the switch in order to satisfy this requirement?
The current position is the only really convenient location for it and there is no other need to mess around with the wiring for this circuit.

Old 10-25-07, 07:51 AM
M
I'm not sure that relocating your switch would be as important as using a GFCI receptical

Old 10-25-07, 08:12 AM
A
The garbage disposal is currently non-GFCI and is hard-wired.
If I hard-wired a GFCI outlet in the sink cabinet, and wired the garbage disposal to plug into that, would that work?

I suspect that the reason for the distance requirement that I read about, was to prevent some dummy from sticking their hand into the disposal while it was running!

Old 10-25-07, 08:47 AM
A
Also, I think I can assume that the dishwasher should be GFCI protected as well. Am I correct?

Old 10-25-07, 03:46 PM
M
It wouldn't hurt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: