Bathroom Odor

Old 10-28-07, 06:59 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Odor

We have just moved into an older home. It has a brand new septic septic system installed. But at least twice a day you can go into the bathroom and find this odor. It is very strong. I have had the company who installed the septic out and they have checked the system and all is working properly.

Now I have noticed that the toilet doesn't really flush the greatest and you hear gurgling in the bathroom sink and tub when you flush or do laundry. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get rid of this odor. Would this be a vent problem?

Old 10-28-07, 08:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is sounds as if you have a venting problem, which will require a road trip to the roof to fix. So if you feel any apprehension about that, call a pro. Your problem is similar to placing a soda straw in a Coke (Pepsi if you are from up north), placing your thumb on top of the straw and withdrawing it. The liquid will remain in the straw until you remove your thumb and equalize the pressure from above. Similarly if you have a vent occlusion, it must be cleared in order for the air to help "push" the liquid down the pipe. Using a garden hose (water off) is usually the best DIY approach to clearing the obstruction. But, please don't do it if you don't like high, slippery, fall-to-your-death places. It ain't the fall, but the sudden stop.

Old 10-28-07, 09:20 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
If you have access to your attic, you may be able to access the vent from there and save a potentially dangerous trip to the rooftop.

I had a leaf clogged vent one winter and the roof was covered with ice and snow. I went into the attic, cut the PVC vent pipe and cleared the blockage from there. After I was done I installed a union where I had cut the pipe. Now if I ever have to clear that vent I can just unscrew the connection in the attic.

Old 10-29-07, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
The mother of invention!!!

Old 10-29-07, 06:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Was up on the in-laws' roof this summer fixing shingles and noticed a cap on a vent pipe - took it off and now the kitchen sink drains a whole lot faster. Not sure when that was put on, but the house was built in 1974 and no one can come up with a reason for it to have been put on after that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: