3 knob diverter valve insanity, please

Old 11-01-07, 08:54 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 knob diverter valve insanity, please

Hey, please help me with this craziness. I have read every post on the internet on this problem and see that this is a common occurrence but answers not helping this one. 1960ish house, old fixtures leaked behind knobs, finally got CLR to break loose knobs, matched valves by looks exactly to old w/Danco,made for Sayco faucet at big HI store. 1st weird thing, bought hot and cold stem; old faucets both turned left on, right off; now turn hot left on, cold turn right on, confusing since they're knob not levers! Should I buy 2 hots or 2 colds to turn the same way? Hot knob sorta hard to turn; smaller socket too tight? Now biggie; pay attention! Old diverter diverted fine, just leaked behind it. New one doesn't divert all water to shower like everybody else. About 30-40% still to tub. Removed shower head; flows is fine...still from tub too. Removed valve; flushed w/CLR, flooded w/ water, let run thru...still tub too. Replaced seat...still tub too. Put old one back in...still tub too. Loosened and tightened screw at end to compress or decompress washer...same ole. Tried to install turned every which way...screeeeaam. Any other tips not given on other posts? One other person on here had same prob w/ same replacement valve said was missing oring on new part. Can't find where one might have gone;wish they had taken pic. If you can't help and I decide to replace tub spout w/diverter in it, will it work with my setup? Will I leave center knob on or off or what? Sorry so long, but I didn't want to waste time with replies back and forth. Been on this simple fix 4 days now. Thanks so much.

Old 11-02-07, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If you prefer to turn the valves to the left to open them, then you will have to buy two hots. As far as the diverter, you may have bought a "too long" stem diverter replacement. Hope you kept the old one to judge this by. It only has to be 1/8 inch longer and it will cause the problems you are experiencing. Did you retrieve the bad washer out of the shaft prior to installing the new diverter stem? Get a flashlight and look in the stem shaft to see if there is anything that seems out of order there. Sometimes we leave parts behind without knowing it.

Old 11-02-07, 08:37 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Simple solution

Same as the solution last year with missing o ring! Danco's 9B-5B was missing an oring. The box store only had one. We went back last nite, they had restocked and the new box had a washer ours was missing. Worked fine the first time. Maker's need more info or diagrams or part's lists or something. Glad to know you are here, for next problem. Thanks so much for responding so promptly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: