Installing older American Std. faucet barrel

Old 11-02-07, 08:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Installing older American Std. faucet barrel

Okay, I give up.

I'm replacing the early 1950's vintage American Standard faucets in my bathroom sink fixture (std 8" spread hot & cold)with "new" parts.
With the new parts are the barrels in which the stems, of course, screw inside to shut off the flow of the water. Simple enough.

How do I mount/attach/install (choose your verb) these barrels inside the fixture. When I install them, and tighten the stem inside the fixture, the barrel and the shaft just spin rather than "staying put" so that the stem can press the washer against the seat.
Really dazed, frustrated, &

Old 11-02-07, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! All the ones I have replaced, screwed into the shaft, and after installing the collar nut and the handle they worked. Now, you have a hot and cold valve insert, and they only work on the prescribed side. Is the shaft end square, or is it ridged like a gear?

Old 11-03-07, 07:41 PM
M
Installing older American Std. faucet barrel

Thank you, Chandler, for your response, but I found "my" problem. The plumbing supply company ordered the wrong part. The "bonnet," the outer threaded piece, is about 3/16th's shorter than the original, thus the barrel wasn't being pinned against the seat, or back, of the fixture.

No wonder I couldn't make it work.
I was beginning to think it was time to find an iceberg to float away on.

Old 11-04-07, 10:56 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And if ever you find you cannot shut off the water and you are frantic, what can be the cause is the bonnet nut came ever so slightly loose and has caused the barrel seat to loose contact with the valvebody seat and the valvestem will just spin in circles until you tighten more on the bonnet nut. Always remember this. This is experience talking.

I have had to rush over to this one rental when frantic tenant has called up. And at rental where upstairs shower is doing this and downstaris tenant where water meter is in basement is not home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: