Upstairs bedroom conversion to bath

Old 11-02-07, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upstairs bedroom conversion to bath

I'm converting an upstairs bedroom into a bathroom. Toliet, shower,sink and no tub. Should my toliet sit right on top of the new drainpipe so the wast makes a straight shot down? This new soil pipe is going to run a long way and I'm thinking that the less turns it has the better. I can't think of how to run the vent out the roof without cutting a hole in a floor joist. As it is, I'm going to have to cut a few holes in floor joists to run shower and sink drains... I'm also thinking that a drain in the middle of the floor is a good idea....

Old 11-02-07, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Before you go cutting floor joisting, let us know what size joist you will be drilling. Cutting a joist sends chills through my body, so I am sure you mean drilling holes, right? If you cut a joist, you will have to bridge across the two adjacent joists to support the weight, so minimize cutting where possible. Water and waste moves downhill, so as long as you have the pipes properly sloped, it doesn't matter whether it drops a foot or 6 inches.

Old 11-02-07, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.plumbing-basics.com/drainage/sizing.htm here is a nice picture, I love pictures. Were the y goes to the sink and shower, there are floor joists in the way.I guess I need to drill holes but not sure how to angle them so they slant down,,, Unlike the picture, my shower doesn't go one way and the sink the opposite way. I'm trying to keep my toliet near the stack on the northwest corner. The sink is going to be on the north wall and the shower on the east wall. Not sure how creative I can be with all these connections. I know it's good to have as few turns as possible and to use elbows that gradually curve. I would also feel good about having a nice size drain in the floor because I fear flooding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: