Vent question and few others.

Old 11-02-07, 10:10 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent question and few others.

My sister and I have a 1950's bungalow. The kitchen sink is all the plumbing on one side of the house and the bathroom and basement plumbing on the other side. About 35 feet in length.

The kitchen sink is blocked and I'm about to call a plumber but will plead for any last second tips. the other sinks, toilet and bath drain okay. Thanks for your patience and please excuse any wrong terminology.

question: Does the vent stack behind the sink trap have anything to do with a drain working? If it's blocked with leaves or anything else does it impact draining? I know I need to clean it but is it connected to the immediate issue?

We removed the undersink plastic piping to check for clogs. No clogs. I traced the pipe to the basement and there is a clean out hole. We borrowed a snake and ran it through but all we do is get black yucky goo. We tried pouring in water but it doesn't go anywhere. curious. Does the water pressure of the sink up top on the main floor push out the water? or... if it's not flowing under the basement floor then that means there is a block along that stretch?

Two other small questions, please. I had to cut off old plastic pipe to check under the sink but now need to redo the plastic pipe from the double sink. I'm having trouble lining it all up. Does that 1.5 inch hard black pipe come in short flexible lengths so it can be wiggled an inch or so?

Also, we looked under a friends kitchen at the plastic pipe and hers isn't glued together but just fits snug. She says it never leaks. Do you have to always glue this black plastic drain pipe with that special glue?

Thanks in advance and any hints on the drain is appreciated.

Old 11-02-07, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
The vent pipe definitely has alot to do with the sink draining, but you have found the problem by poking around past the clean out. Your problem lies there. You should pursue cleaning out the drain, but it may require the plumber anyway, so he/she can clean the drain properly. Is this a mobile home or modular home? I ask, because the use of ABS is not common due to problems with sizing. Most all we see now is PVC, which is white. Connecting the sinks together can be done with a drain kit for it, and they are available at the big box stores and at plumbing supply houses. I would replace the entire setup so you can be assured of a leak free sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: