Toilet operation?

Old 11-05-07, 05:58 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet operation?

Our church had a flood coming from the men's room. The stool shut off float valve assembly didn't shut off, so the water ran OVER the top of the tank, and down onto the floor.

Question, SHOULDN'T THE OVERFLOW TUBE HANDLE THIS WATER FLOW AND DIRECTED THIS WATER DOWN THRU THE BASE OF THE STOOL AND OUT THE FLOOR DRAIN or wax ring HOLE? The stool base pipe was NOT clogged, the water never entered the stool itself. Isn't that what the overflow 3/4" tube is meant to do????

The floor drain is slightly uphill from the stool therefore water flooded the floor below the drain and out into the carpeted hall way.

This rest room has two home owner stools and I am wondering whether we should install commerical units to aid in preventing such from happening again.

Your comments are most welcome.

Dale in Indy

Old 11-05-07, 07:00 PM
This same thing happened to me just 3 weeks ago. I was standing there watching it as it happened.

The plastic valve had cracked open and water was coming out of it at a pretty good rate. It simply exceeded the rate at which the overflow tube could handle it. I'm afraid I didn't take detailed notes because I was in a panic at the time trying to monkey with the shutoff valve which ended up not working at all. But what I think might have happened is the water level quickly rose above the top of the overflow tube creating a seal. At that point air needs to bubble out as water goes in, and this drastically slows down the water drainage.

Old 11-05-07, 08:49 PM
S
I wonder if I were to screw the shut off valve down to restrict the flow of water that such wouldn't give some protection against this possible problem? This would mean of course that the tank won't fill as fast between flushes though.

I am going to do some testing on this method of control, but will talk with a very experienced plumber about the right way to control.

I am still hoping others will join in this thread for their comments too.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Old 11-06-07, 05:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Dale: change out the valve completely, don't try to restrict it. They are too cheap and you apparently need to get it fixed before services this Sunday, right? Also, check the inbound water pressure. Should not exceed about 60psi. I think you may have a prv problem, in that it may be improperly adjusted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: