Replace leaky lever in tub?

Old 11-08-07, 08:08 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace leaky lever in tub?

Hi, I have a leaky faucet in my tub. It is the cold side, the handle is turning all the way around. I have done some research and understand that it's probably a washer or something and I can take the corroded parts to the hardware store and get new ones. But, I am wondering, if I buy replacement handles willl all these possibly damaged parts be included?

I see these levers for like 7 bucks that look just like mine and I figure why not replace the whole thing. But maybe they're just for show and the parts I need wouldn't be included.

Old 11-08-07, 03:24 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 4,214
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From your description, you need at least a valve stem assembly. Your local home/hardware store may/may not have the one you need. They only carry the more popular manufacturers. But take the old one with you. It can identified, and also what is needed in a new handle set.

If you are unsure how to get things apart, invest in a DIY book on residential plumbing repairs, well worth the small cost.
Old 11-08-07, 04:22 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,962
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
MC218 - Before buying any parts, make sure that the screw holding the handle to the valve stem is tight. It's possible that the screw has loosened and the handle is no longer engaging the stem. Most valve stems are splined with matching splines on the handle.

If the screw is tight, remove the handle and inspect the splines on both pieces to see if the teeth are stripped.

If you can identify the faucet manufacturer, visit their web site. Most faucet makers have parts diagrams on line and customer service contacts for older, obsolete models.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: