Removing Toilet bolts

Old 11-10-07, 07:30 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Toilet bolts

Hi

I am removing my toilet to add a laminate floor and the closet bolts are frozen. I tried using a hacksaw to cut them off but am having trouble getting much blade on the bolts and it doesn't appear to be doing anything. What is the best way to remove these bolts.

Thanks
Sal

Old 11-10-07, 07:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Full size hacksaw is tough to get in there. They make smaller handles to hold the blade so that it fits more easily. Any big box store will have them, should be under $5.

Old 11-10-07, 08:32 AM
Speaking of toliet bolts, are there any made of stainless steel ? The only ones I could ever find are cheap and end up rusting. Seems to me that stainless steel should be the norm on these bolts but that's not the case.

Old 11-10-07, 08:55 AM
S
Thanks Mitch. I got a small saw that looks more like a gun and was able to get in there and get them off.

Old 11-10-07, 10:07 PM
P
Originally Posted by rebeljeep View Post
Speaking of toliet bolts, are there any made of stainless steel ? The only ones I could ever find are cheap and end up rusting. Seems to me that stainless steel should be the norm on these bolts but that's not the case.
most closet bolts are made of brass but there are stainless steel ones out there. i don't think i'd use them because i'm sure they're nearly impossible to cut down.

paul

Old 11-11-07, 11:50 AM
Smile Closet Bolts

p-nor: ..."most closet bolts are made of brass"

Sorry, but I have to disagree, most are made of steel with a brass color on them. To get a true brass bolt you have to take a magnet with you when you buy them. The original post said he had a prob. with rust.

BTW, most copper tubing straps are steel also, this is info. only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: