Problematic Middle-Faucet of old-type Bath-Tub

Old 11-11-07, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problematic Middle-Faucet of old-type Bath-Tub

Hi:
It's an older-type American-Standard bath-tub with three handle tub faucets.

When I found a water leak on both occasions, taking a Shower and filling a water in the bath-tub, I replaced the brand new middle faucet. However, there is still water-leak, ... almost the same as before it's done. Luckily, both Hot and Cold Faucets are perfectly OK without any water-dripping.

When I went back to the hard-ware store and asked an older salesperson what's wrong with this, 'water-leak in the middle faucet,' he told me that 'Seat' inside is getting bad and nothing can be done unless I would call a professional plumber.

I agreed with him as knowing that our Bath-Tub is old-fashioned with 'three' conventional faucets, but wonder whether we, the family can stop this, water-leak in the middle bath-tub faucet before calling the Plumber?

Thanks any helps on this,

Old 11-12-07, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
When you refer to the "middle faucet", I am assuming you are referring to the diverter for the shower. If so, remove the handle, cover and unscrew the stem. Take it with you to a plumbing supply house and tell them "I want one of these". They can usually match them up perfectly. Now, it may be as simple as a loose washer on the end of the stem, or lack of proper packing around the stem collar. You didn't indicate where the leak was coming from. You can fix these by direct replacement of the bad part without having to replace the entire stem.

Old 11-12-07, 07:13 AM
Thanks so much, ....

Hi Larry:
Thanks so much for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Yes, .... it's 'Diverter,' because a function of middle faucet is a Switch/change to shower from bath-tub filling and vice versa. Sorry, I can not explain good about this. But, it's Diverter.

This leak, more spefically, 'splatter' from shower-head and bath-tub that comes from both, hot-water and cold-water when using/taking. Practically, because the Diverter can not get a good hold on both occasions, water splatter in the bath-tub when taking shower, and when filling water in the bath-tub, water starting splatter from shower-head.

This problem has been as far as I remember since we purchased the house that was built around early '60 or so, and both Bath-Tub and Bath-Faucets(3) came with the house. Then, it's old, but we are pretty much attached to it and want to keep them.

I purchased already a whole middle-faucet(Diverter) from the Hardware store. As mentioned in my previous post, I went back to the store asking why the Diverter can NOT hold the proper position, ... the salesperson told me that 'Seat' inside the wall is old and bad, which means we needs to replace a whole bath-tub faucets by tearing out the wall and surrounding area. We are VERY hesitant to do this, because we still love this Bath-Faucet/American Standard.

I'll go other store to ask whether there is a part or extra- packing available to the Diverter.

Thanks again,

Old 11-12-07, 01:06 PM
Hi Larry;
It's done. We put extra-packing, two extra O-rings around the stem that cured the problem, although there is little bit leakage around the Diverter when turning on from Shower to the bath-tub filling. However, there is NO comparison to the past when there was quite steady leakage coming from Shower-head and around the Diverter.

Thanks for all the help you offered for the past week. Also, a BIG thanks for money saved due to the fact we did actually fixed the 'two' different problems, Kitchen faucet and Bath-tub. BTW, you sound like a professional plumber, or at least close to that?

Thanks,

Old 11-13-07, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Nope, a nail driver. I do remodeling, repair and restoration work, which encompasses a somewhat good knowledge base of several trades. Thanks for the comments, and great that you got things going again. Glad to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: