Toilet barely flushing

Old 11-12-07, 09:43 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet barely flushing

I've done all I know to do in my incredibly limited way . My toilet will flush, but slowly. The bowl fills up quickly but goes down VERY slowly. I thought maybe something was trapped in the goose-neck of the toilet so I tried another toilet...same problem. I ran a garden hose into the house and put it straight into the floor where the toilet goes and it never backed up. So I figured it may be the air vents that stick up through the roof may be clogged. I got up on the roof and ran the garden hose into those vents for several minutes each with no back-up whatsoever.

I'm out of ideas! Help!

The rest of the house has no trouble though the bathtub next to that toilet does drain relatively slowly. (if that helps ).

Old 11-12-07, 03:53 PM
J
1. the toilet could be old and partially clogged with calcium deposits.
2. it could be the design of the toilet and that is how they work.
3. It could be a partial blockage(kids to, etc) in the toilet trap, you may have to do a visual on it.
4. good thinking on the vent possibility. But did you try the toilet after?? Also, one vent likely serves both bathrooms, so if one works, that is likely not the problem.

Old 11-26-07, 07:51 PM
G
Smile Toilet Clogged Siphone Repair

Using a PenKnife Open Up the Siphon Hole ..Small Hole
Opposite the large Drain..
Mine Was clogged with Calcium
Easy repair..
I don't think it is a Clogged Drain..
I Had the Same Problem..

http://www.toiletology.com/toc.shtml

Old 01-14-08, 09:24 AM
S
Smile Same Problem

My parents purchased our home in 1960...we have the same bathtub and toilet. Lately the toilet flushes, once in a while...and then sometimes it just doesn't. The bowl will fill up...doesn't overflow but for some reason won't go down. We had a plumber come in and he said there might be a hairline crack in the bowl...somewhere. I have no leaks on the floor, in the basement ceiling, etc. I need another opinion before I go out and purchase a new bowl. The plumber did snake it but there was no clog.

Help!

Old 01-14-08, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by galvlo View Post
I've done all I know to do in my incredibly limited way . My toilet will flush, but slowly. The bowl fills up quickly but goes down VERY slowly. I thought maybe something was trapped in the goose-neck of the toilet so I tried another toilet...same problem. I ran a garden hose into the house and put it straight into the floor where the toilet goes and it never backed up. So I figured it may be the air vents that stick up through the roof may be clogged. I got up on the roof and ran the garden hose into those vents for several minutes each with no back-up whatsoever.

I'm out of ideas! Help!

The rest of the house has no trouble though the bathtub next to that toilet does drain relatively slowly. (if that helps ).
was the other toilet you tried a new or used one? did you check the 4 inch vent line or the 2 inch vent line? if the tub and the commode are running/flushing slowly, i suspect a blockage. the garden hose will supply water but not in the volume that the commode does. i would however not overlook the possibility(as suggested) of the calcium build up.

Old 01-15-08, 11:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Sue627

Another opinion.

I am not a plumber but might have the solution. The problem description likely indicates restricted water drain/flush holes around the bowl.

Those holes are located under the rim of the bowl. Over a long time period they can become clogged and/or restricted with calcium, rust, scale, debris and/or hard water deposits in the water.

One method is to use a chemical that dissolves hard water deposits, lime and calcium. Chemicals name escapes me now... but should be in the sticky note in this form topic.

That chemical gets poured into the overflow tube until some of it appears coming out of the holes under the rim. Allow this chemical to remain in the system for several hours before flushing. May need to repeat the process several times.

Once the above is completed, clean those holes. But do so Carefully! So as not to crack the bowl. Use a wire of lesser diameter then the size of the holes. Loosen any debris left and flush again.

The above should resolve the problem... without a need to replace the entire toilet....

Old 03-01-08, 01:12 PM
O
Originally Posted by Sharp Advice View Post
Hello: Sue627

Another opinion.

I am not a plumber but might have the solution. The problem description likely indicates restricted water drain/flush holes around the bowl.

Those holes are located under the rim of the bowl. Over a long time period they can become clogged and/or restricted with calcium, rust, scale, debris and/or hard water deposits in the water.

One method is to use a chemical that dissolves hard water deposits, lime and calcium. Chemicals name escapes me now... but should be in the sticky note in this form topic.

That chemical gets poured into the overflow tube until some of it appears coming out of the holes under the rim. Allow this chemical to remain in the system for several hours before flushing. May need to repeat the process several times.

Once the above is completed, clean those holes. But do so Carefully! So as not to crack the bowl. Use a wire of lesser diameter then the size of the holes. Loosen any debris left and flush again.

The above should resolve the problem... without a need to replace the entire toilet....
Hey.. how are you? Real quick.... My toilet won't flush correctly and only when I hold down the flush handle.. any ideas?

Old 11-24-08, 06:42 PM
H
Question question to SHARP REPLY

Your answer sounds like it will solve a problem i am having. However, i do not know what type of chemical you are using. Being a novice on the site i do know where the Posty note is

Old 11-25-08, 08:16 AM
D
adjusting water level in toilet bowl

This is my first time on this site, so if I am doing this wrong...please forgive. The toilet bowl is not filling up as much as it should. HOW do I adjust the water level in the bowl. I have stared into the tank but it didn't help. kindly be specific for this newbie. Thanks

Last edited by doris1234; 11-25-08 at 08:44 AM. Reason: I need my post in the proper place with new quest.HOW?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: