tub faucet leaks when toilet is flushed????

Old 11-17-07, 03:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tub faucet leaks when toilet is flushed????

I have a three handle tub/shower (Hot/Cold/shower-on/off). The faucet drips sometimes, but when the washing machine runs or the toilet is running, or the shower is on, I get a small stream out of the faucet. The first thing I thought was the internal mechanism (not sure of the correct terminology) of either the hot or cold handle. The water is never warm so i am thinking it must be on the cold side. I replaced this piece before on a different tub, which only had 1 handle. I guess what throws me is the added leaking when other water is running. I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything before I try to find the replacement part. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Old 11-18-07, 05:37 AM
J
My guess, and it is only that, is the faucet washer is marginal, and when you get a surge in the line from the washer(or other fixture) cutting on/off, it causing the washer to leak. Replace the washer and report back, this is a strange one.

Old 11-18-07, 05:56 AM
I have the exact same thing happening here. I'm not going to do anything about it, just throwing it in for info only:

The kitchen faucet drips constantly, and has been getting progressively worse. When the toilet is flushed the drip rate triples and there is a squealing as if air is trying to get in. This is sustained for as long as it takes the toilet to fill, not a short surge.

The faucet and toilet are on totally separate lines. What may be noteworthy is when the faucet is turned off "harder", the drip increases. There's just a little sweet spot there where the drip is next to nothing. Totally reaching here, but perhaps the lower pressure is actually causing something to open slightly. I definitely see it before my eyes. I dunno, me and faucets do not get along so it's staying that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: