1.6 gal tank on onld toilet

Old 11-20-07, 07:19 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1.6 gal tank on onld toilet

Hello,

I have an old Atlas toilet in my basement. It's not an efficient model but I can't replace it because the previous owner cemented it to the floor. I would like to replace the tank with a 1.6 gallon tank but I wonder if it will have enough pressure to move everything out to the septic tank. Does anyone here have any insight for me? Do I have to replace the old tank with one from the same manufacturer or are they fairly universal?

Thanks,
Lori

Old 11-20-07, 09:22 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
You might be better off busting out the old toilet and replacing it with a newer, more efficient model. Just a guess, but the bowl galleries are probably designed to flush with a larger volume of water.

Old 11-20-07, 09:44 AM
Old toilet

Bad idea, your best bet is to replace the whole toilet!

Old 11-20-07, 10:00 AM
L
Even though it's not what I wanted to hear I am grateful for your replies. It's much better to be a little disappointed now than VERY disappointed later.

Thank you very much, I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving holiday.

Old 11-20-07, 04:28 PM
This is an extremely bad idea. I've done it. Many years ago I helped a friend install a 1.6gal tank on an older toilet so the landlord wouldn't find out the old one had been obliterated. Trust me, you don't want to do it.

You're better off leaving everything alone if it's working. I really can't see busting out a whole toilet to save a few gallons of water in a lower usage basement toilet.

People pay decent money for these old toilets because they like them better.

Old 11-20-07, 07:25 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
The older large capacity flush toilets were in demand for a while after 1.6 GPF toilets became the standard. Many of the low capacity toilets just didn't get the job done. For a while there was a demand for pressure assisted toilets because the 1.6 GPFs performed so poorly. Now pressure assists are uncommon.

There have been a lot of engineering and design improvements in the last dozen or so years. New, low volume toilets now flush much more efficiently than the older ones. I agree I wouldn't scrap a high volume toilet if it's working OK, but I also wouldn't hesitate to break it up for a newer replacement.

If there is still any demand for a high volume toilet it's from the uninformed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: