Old Faucet Identification

Old 11-23-07, 10:49 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Faucet Identification

I need to get a new valve stem insert seal for a 40 year old double kitchen faucest. The insert does not use a bonnet packing, but has a wedge shaped cross section rubber "o-ring".

1. Is there an online catalog for old faucet parts where I can Identify the manufacturer of this faucet?

2. How can I post a picture on this forum to show readers what it looks like?

3. I am thinking about having a standard o-ring groove machined in the insert if I cant find the exact replacement seal.
Old 11-24-07, 05:04 AM
PineCone's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 560
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mine is traditional style of Kitchen Faucet and I love it, due to nostalgiatic commodity. However, like you're saying, it's tough to find a right replacement.

First, go to hardware store where a knowlegeable salesperson is present. When you go to any hardware stores or plumbing supply store, you need to bring an old and worn valve-stem for a good match. Because, there are several different parts, although all of those parts are visibly VERY similar unless you have a knowledge on this.

There are several stores and two big-box stores neaby my house, but I drive for about one hour to get a good Plumbing Supply for my old and traditional plumbing parts. Normally, they have, but if not they do 'special order.'

Besides, I got good tips and responses on this board whenever there are minor but yet, tricky issues which are NOT solved from plumbing salesperson. I'm glad to find this sites, DIY.

Last edited by PineCone; 11-24-07 at 05:06 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 11-24-07, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,627
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianhale View Post
I but has a wedge shaped cross section rubber "o-ring".
My plumbing store has lots of those plastic bins that have an assortment of such things. These types of packing are preformed cone-shaped packing and are sort of whitish in color and are more fibrous than what a simple rubber cone would be.

If it were rubber, you see, it would bind on you when you open and close. If you opened the faucet, the rubber would 'grab' it and would try to close down the faucet some, all by itself, due to the springy action of the grabiness, and vice-versa.

That true packing mateial allows the packing to get tight around the stem, yet allow the stem to slip inside the packing so you don't get that 'grabby' effect.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: