question about green board

Old 11-24-07, 06:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question about green board

Can i put up green board around my bath tub/shower and leave it exposed ? I can't buy everything at once and it may be exposed for a couple of weeks berfore i can buy the wall cover.

Old 11-24-07, 01:08 PM
M
I love the quaetion, can I? Of course you can but there will be consequences if you do. There always are. Greenborad is not a water PROOF product it is water resistant
but certainly not enought for direct exposure to any degree of water

A shower is out of the question, but a bath is not unreasonable unless you plan on splashing a lot of water.

I'm not sure I would risk it unless your prepared to replace it again.

Old 11-24-07, 03:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Exactly where around your tub/shower do you intend to put green board? What do you plan to put over it?

You don't want to use greenboard for a backer for tile!! If you tile you should use cement board.

Old 11-24-07, 04:07 PM
C
Received 138 Votes on 111 Posts
Are you using greenboard because of local code requirements? If not I would just use regular sheetrock. If mold is an issue, paperless drywall may be a better choice. Primed and painted either will do the same job.

If you are putting it up in a wet area and you plan on tiling over it, you're better off with backer board.

Old 11-24-07, 04:32 PM
C
OK then...can i put up cement board and let it be exposed for a couple of weeks. I'm a weekend warrior, I would be putting in a tub surround. I need to open the walls to put in support for grap bars.

Old 11-25-07, 05:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Is this one of those plastic/fiberglass tub surrounds? If so green board is fine. You might want to paint the bottom portion for extra protection against splashing BUT NO SHOWERS!!!

Old 11-25-07, 08:02 AM
T
Cableman -

If you intend to shower - then I would say its not OK to leave it exposed. If you have to - the I would rig some plastic sheeting, but be careful. Cement board would be more forgiving if the plastic leaked.

I personally think greenboard is useless ( unless its for code).

If there is any risk that it will get wet - go with cement. Been there -

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: