Clean mildew from shower nozzle handle

Old 11-27-07, 08:15 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean mildew from shower nozzle handle

In both of my showers, the nozzle handle has been growing midew on the inside (the nozzle pulls out to cut the water on). What is the best way to get the mildew out from under there? I've tried spraying it with cleaner and pulling the nozzle out to get the cleaner inside, but it's not enough. Can you unscrew these things or something? It's black and gross and I'm tired of looking at it.

Old 11-27-07, 09:44 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
I'm not sure what you are describing as a shower nozzle. Are you talking about a hand held shower? What you are seeing may not be mold. It may be a mineral deposit. Can you post a pic?

Old 11-28-07, 04:50 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't get a picture to post, but my shower/tub has 3 parts. The shower head, the faucet where water comes out for a bath, and the handle that you pull on to actually get water flowing. This handle pulls out to cut the water on and you twist it either to the left or right for the temperature. The handle is round and made out of clear plastic. Since it pulls out, water gets in under the handle and mildews. I've tried to pull it off or twist it off, but it's stuck on there and I can't seem to get the mildew out from under the handle.

Does that help any?

Old 11-28-07, 07:51 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Does the handle have a small cap in the middle? If it does, you can carefully pry it off and remove the screw located underneath. This screw holds the handle onto the valve stem. If it's not corroded in place you can simply slide the handle off to get access for cleaning.

I'm not a mold expert, but I think it's unusual for mold to form on metal. I suppose it might be forming on soap trapped under the handle.

I use a spray product in my shower to keep mold from forming on the tiles. I use it every time I shower and haven't had any mold problems. I also leave the shower door open to promote air flow and quick drying. If your bath is fan ventilated running the fan until most of the moisture is exhausted will also help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: