Bubbles in tank preventing flapper closing

Old 11-27-07, 07:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bubbles in tank preventing flapper closing

Good Evening,
I have an American Standard 1.6gpf toilet I bought it in 1998. Today she started acting up when it was flushed it kept running. It has never done this before but it does usually flush twice every time someone flushes it.
I took the tank lid off & noticed that there were lots of air bubbles coming up where the flapper closes. Keeping the flapper from closing I have to push the flapper down to get it to shut off or it just keeps flushing. I looked down where the flapper is and there is nothing causing a block also checked the gasket that it sits on I have changed nothing as far as parts. What could be the problem that is causing this toilet to be doing this?. The only way I can stop it from flushing is to push down on the flapper!. Thank you for your time & advice.

Old 11-28-07, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may have a vent stoppage. If you put water in your tub, released it and flushed the toilet, does air come up the tub drain? Aside from a vent stoppage, I have only had this happen once before, right after I changed the whole house filter. The air trapped ahead of the filter bubbled when we flushed the toilet.

Old 11-29-07, 07:10 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem about 10 years ago. I worked maintenance for a living so I jumped through all the hoops to fix the problem. What cured it was I put about a half gallon of muritic acid down the overflow in the tank and let it set for about 45 minutes the flushed the toilet. What I discovered is that the toilet had a lot of lime and the water left the tank too slow. The water going into the bowl creates a vacuum that seals the flapper, when the water ran too slow into the bowl it would not seal the flapper, had a lot of bubbles and the flapper would just float.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: