Could toliet bowl itself being leaking?

Old 12-02-07, 06:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could toliet bowl itself being leaking?

Ok - I have an on-going issue now for several weeks -

First off, I had my bathroom floor replaced about 3 weeks ago - To do so, they had to take off the toliet and then put it back in.....

Since this was done.....I've noticed (within days) that my toliet has kept refilling....(as if the flapper or the refill were broken).

I've replaced both the refill tube and the flapper.......Problem has not gone away...........Every so often (not exact time frame between when)....but perhaps once an hour or once every few hours.........(then again it has gone almost a full day without happening).......my toliet will refill itself (the tank).

1. Could it be that my toliet is leaking out the bottom (into my sewer pipes)...and thus this is causing my tank to refill the bowl??

I ask this because whenever my toliet refills in the back (during these instances) I never notice that the bowl itself is higher?? (full of more water)....It seems the refill comes on...fills the back of the tank to its given point.......yet at the same time my toliet bowl isn't any fuller??

Could my toliet itself be leaking (possibly put back on wrong) and from this....it is causing a suction of sorts and drawing water out of my tank....(thus I'm catching it via the refill turning back on....which I can hear).

This is driving me nuts.... (could the replacing of my expansion tank on my hot water heater be causing any of this?? - Expansion tank was replaced somewhat recently as well....a 2 months ago).

Last edited by meade95; 12-02-07 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-02-07, 07:52 AM
M
It is most likely the movement of the toilet simply changed the seating of the flapper on the ring.

When your tank fills, have a look at the water level in the tank. Be sure it is not over flowing into the overflow tube slightly.

You said that you replaced the overflow tube? That tube is connected to the ring (seat) that the flapper seals to, isn't it? So you have replaced both the flapper and the seat, right? As a set? Not all flappers fit all seats.

Then, there is the tank to bowl seals. Make certain that there is no moisture leaking down the back of the bowl anywhere or on the bottom of the tank.

That is the only place you would lose water. It would be one in a million if your bowl had a structural damage that would leak the water into the sewer piping without leaking onto the surrounding house structure. Replacing anything in your plumbing like an expansion tank is not going to cause this...

Drop some food coloring into your tank and see if it ends up in your bowl or staining your bowl on the outside somewhere. If the leak is enough you might be able to watch the dye as it moves to the point where the water is leaking from the tank.

And be sure the chain or other mechanism that lifts your flapper is allowing your flapper to drop fully and it is not being caught under the flapper.

Old 12-02-07, 08:08 AM
M
Originally Posted by mdtaylor View Post
It is most likely the movement of the toilet simply changed the seating of the flapper on the ring.

When your tank fills, have a look at the water level in the tank. Be sure it is not over flowing into the overflow tube slightly.

You said that you replaced the overflow tube? That tube is connected to the ring (seat) that the flapper seals to, isn't it? So you have replaced both the flapper and the seat, right? As a set? Not all flappers fit all seats.

Then, there is the tank to bowl seals. Make certain that there is no moisture leaking down the back of the bowl anywhere or on the bottom of the tank.

That is the only place you would lose water. It would be one in a million if your bowl had a structural damage that would leak the water into the sewer piping without leaking onto the surrounding house structure. Replacing anything in your plumbing like an expansion tank is not going to cause this...

Drop some food coloring into your tank and see if it ends up in your bowl or staining your bowl on the outside somewhere. If the leak is enough you might be able to watch the dye as it moves to the point where the water is leaking from the tank.

And be sure the chain or other mechanism that lifts your flapper is allowing your flapper to drop fully and it is not being caught under the flapper.
Thanks for your help / suggestions here -

Okay, - I have a FluidMaster 400 refill (which IS seperate from my flapper system).

My flapper is connected only to my flusher via a chain - And then sits on a little swivel type system on the base of my tank (sort of sits in there like a toliet paper roll would). My chain has enough slack to make sure it can seal.

I woke up this morning to two random refills (with this toliet). I have since put a blue dye pill in my tank.....Nothing has leaked into my bowl thus far (going on over 2 hours)....at the same time...I have NOT had any more random refills....

(There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to why this is occuring??) I've now replaced my refill tube (water hose is NOT down into the overflow tube...so that isn't an issue)...I've replaced my flapper...and it seems to have a good seal (when I feel down there once my tank is full)....

Yet.....I get these random refills out of the blue....that seem to happen in spurts.....where there will be like 2 or 3 within an hour.....and then it will go hours and hours and hours without doing it......

(I'm really starting to wonder if I have water pressure issue of sorts?......This house is older.....and I do not have a water gauge/meter to tell me what my water pressure is).

I've checked the back of the toliet.....no real water...I mean maybe some slight water feeling...some dampness.....but not the amount of water I would suspect would need to be there....for this on going 3 week issue....

Thanks again....

Old 12-02-07, 08:13 AM
M
Correction...(on my part, if I wrote it wrong).

I replaced the REFILL (Fluidmaster)...not the over flow tube.

Yesteday I went out and bought a new overflow tube....(which you are correct, works with my flapper...which connects from that to my flusher).

Is this my best bet.....To replace my whole overflow tube and flapper....

To replace this overflow tube (which comes with its own flapper)...Do I also need to have a new tank to bowl gasket?

Old 12-02-07, 09:12 AM
Smile Toilet prob.

meade95: I think you prob is with the Fluidmaster.

1: When they were first put on the market the instructions said to hold the float under water on initial installition to add water to keep it from bouncing.

2: A bad washer in the Fluidmaster

Both will cause the toilet to start and stop, hope this helps.

Old 12-02-07, 10:30 AM
M
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
meade95: I think you prob is with the Fluidmaster.

1: When they were first put on the market the instructions said to hold the float under water on initial installition to add water to keep it from bouncing.

2: A bad washer in the Fluidmaster

Both will cause the toilet to start and stop, hope this helps.
Huh? So should I pour water into the top of my Fluidmaster (where there is a hole, I've noticed)?...and see if that stops my issue?

Wow...if your 1. solves the issue.......that will solve a mystery that has been driving me nuts.....

I don't think it should be reason #2....As I've replaced my Fluidmaster with another one...(so that would be 2 in a row with a washer issue).

Old 12-02-07, 12:41 PM
M
(update).

I'm now going on 6 1/2 hours with NO blue dye escaping out of my tank...and into my bowl.....

Along with 6 1/2 hours without my refill issue having happened.......

(yet again, I woke up this morning to my toliet refill turning on twice within 20 minutes or so......It also did it once last night prior to me going to bed).....

It seems like it has to be an flapper (or old complete overflow tube) issue.......Yet, how does it go over 6 hours without leaking any blue dye? (or having the refill turn on).

Thus....it starts making me wonder about a water pressure issue of sorts??......And when pressure builds up.......my toliet is my first warning of sorts???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: