Need Help With Moen Kitchen Single faucet

Old 12-08-07, 04:27 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help With Moen Kitchen Single faucet

Hi, I'm new here. Seven yrs. ago our house was built & the builder used Moen fixtures- (Builder grade). This week the kitchen faucet started the steady drip that usually means replace either a part or the fixture itself. I'm a handy guy, but I have NO literature or pictorals that show how to take the fixture apart to buy parts or replace. I have not worked with plumbing fixtures before.

I proceeded to go online and get Moem's website and phone number. I called their main number and got an automated message that said somebody would call me back in one hour if I left my telephone number. Nobody called back. I also called Home Depot and talk to someone. That person told me if I removed a horseshoe clip from the top of the fixture that a cartridge should slide up and out. After removing several upper pieces including the handle and a horseshoe clamp there is a red colored spiral type hard plastic shaft with the other parts inside it.

I looked under the sink and both water feeds go up through the woodwork into the fixture. There is also a large threat in town shaft that is under the sink with a nut on it. I have no clue how to remove the fixture so I can bring it down to Home Depot and look for another one.

If anyone can help me in this I would greatly appreciate it. If I could just find online schematics or pictorals for this unit take it apart I would be fine. The guy at Home Depot told me I might need a special tool to remove it, but he was referring to the cartridge that's replaceable.

There is a number underneath the top plastic cap that reads #100940 J 2. Quite frankly I thought this would be a simple matter of on bolting a fixture underneath the sink and buying another one. One thing's for sure-I will not buy another Moem unit as this whole procedure is ridiculous and absurd.

All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 12-08-07, 03:21 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, You don't have to take the faucet off.You have taken it apart as far as you need. What you need is a plastic replacement cartridge for a single handle Moen Kitchen faucet. They come with a plastic tool to assist in removal of the old cartridge. Put the tool on top of the old cartridge and twist it back and forth to loosen it up then pull the old cartridge out (make sure you remove the horse shoe clip).. I've heard that Moen will send a free replacement cartridge if you want to wait.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 12-10-07, 04:56 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
Hi, You don't have to take the faucet off.You have taken it apart as far as you need. What you need is a plastic replacement cartridge for a single handle Moen Kitchen faucet. They come with a plastic tool to assist in removal of the old cartridge. Put the tool on top of the old cartridge and twist it back and forth to loosen it up then pull the old cartridge out (make sure you remove the horse shoe clip).. I've heard that Moen will send a free replacement cartridge if you want to wait.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Hi, I took the fixture off & brought it to H-Depot. I decided to buy a fixture with seperate cold & hot water valves. I also replaced the copper tubing with flexible braided lines. I did not like the Moen fixture & it was what the builder put in. Thanks for your reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: