Shower Diverter Down, shower turns on when Running Bath

Old 12-09-07, 09:28 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Diverter Down, shower turns on when Running Bath

I searched the forums and seems that most people have the opposite problem.

Im using an American Standard Pressure Balancing Unit #6021 and a Bath and Shower Set #6022. Which is a one piece for the hot/cold water control.

WHen I turn the water on slightly, hot water will come out of the tub fine. When I go to warm water or straight cold, water will come out of the shower head in addition to the bath. I unscrewed the bath faucet and the problem still persists.

Any ideas? Im guestimating maybe one of the pipes has some debris in it. If that is the case, is there a way to fix that without tearing things up? The bath faucet pipe goes about 8 inches into the wall and then goes up another18 inches or so to the main pressure/water control unit. I have full access to the plumbing from the back wall.

Thanks

Old 12-10-07, 04:04 PM
J
It sounds like you are on the right track. But I would think it would take a large blockage to suck the diverter to the shower position. I would first look at the diverter. Tub spout diverter or diverter built into the shower valve?? Tub spout diverters are nearly all made in China, and about 1 in 4 actually works right.

Old 12-10-07, 05:29 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some mixer valves are designed a little more complicated than what we would think they have to be, and internally contain a restrictor or two for reasons that most of us do not know.

What happens if you have new type mixer valve where the water comes out full blast (like a Moen posi-temp), is that due to either one of these restrictors or even a clog in the valve or restriction in the tub spout nipple, is that then the water volume under pressure must escape somewhere, so it goes up the shower riser pipe.

You could try shutting off the water to the house and then remove the tub spout and the shower head and try blasting different directions with compressed air. But this likely will be a waste of time unless your compressor hose can release a big volume of air suddenly at over 100 psi.

I had to perform such a feat a few months back with a big air compressor and was disappointed that the air hose was only about 3/8 inch dia. and like 100 feet long which did not deliver the volume of air I needed. So what likely happened is the air just worked it's way around the obstruction. But you now have the general idea here, and sometimes you have to get creative, such as tapping into a neighbors spigot (if you have to shut off your entire house to get the tub shut off) so you can blast with water instead of air. May also have to remove the cartridge so you can get a blasting flush to come out that way, or IN that way.

If you either do not want to go thru this or are unsuccessful, you can take solice in the fact there is a solution. You simply buy one of those inline shower arm shutoff valves. They are sold right there at the home center next to shower heads. If you want to take a bath or otherwise use the tubspout only, you just have the showerhead water turned to off on that little chrome valve you buy. They are small, metal, and chrome.

Old 12-11-07, 04:44 PM
L
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I certainly know its not the pipe diverter since I took off the bath faucet.One of my neighbors told me that the pipe would shake when water is turned on if it were obstructed, which it doesnt shake (I have full access to the pipes). Another person, who is also not a plumber, told me to just change the guts to the valve system (dont know the tech word, its what is behind the hot/cold controls).

Would some type of pipe cleaner do the trick? After measuring the pipes its only about 18" of pipe I'd have to fish around with since it would be the bath pipe thats backing things up. I have access to a 100psi air compressor with a short cord that I can have ready to go and then suddenly put in the opening of the pipes.

I just want to go with the most probable solution so that this doesnt turn into a month long project, which ones would you suggest?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: