making a custom laundry sink

Old 12-14-07, 07:53 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We want to make a very large custom (but attractive) laundry sink/tub to use for everthing from laundry, gardening to washing pets and kids off. We want to make it ourselves to save money and not end up with something cheap looking. Narrow space requirements must be 26" wide by max 48" in length.

Checked into concrete and roman tub kind of construction and seems like too much could go wrong and materials would cost too much. We can't risk any leeks as it will be up against our homes straw bale walls.

This is why I came upon the thought of inserting a commercial grade polyurethane tub (think farm style feeding troth) into a poured concrete base (floor is 6" slab on bedrock).

My questions are 1) does this sound like it would work - hold water 2) could this be plumbed? 3) what could be done to cover the tub to make it more attractive but non toxic and does not off gas? I know I'm asking alot but any help on any point would be much appreciated!

Old 12-14-07, 07:04 PM
D

I think your troth insert into a concret base will work and anything can be plumbed. 2" pvc drain with trap should work well.

How about nice piece of counter top as a cover?

Duke of ....

Old 12-15-07, 09:28 AM
L
Thanks Duke

Thanks for your input. I like the idea of covering the top edge with counter top for the look of an undermount - great idea. I also would like to try to cover the inside surface of the troth. A tile look would be great but I can't see that working over the plastic. I thought some kind of membrane/liner with a coating applied or a super shiny and durable sprayed on finish that is "green" - low VOC?.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: