sewer gas odor

Old 12-20-07, 07:49 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sewer gas odor

Replaced a toilet and when I was finished I noticed the odor of sewer gases. Replaced the standard wax ring with an oversized one. Cut the odor down but was still prevalent a bit. I then put a second wax ring over the first and the smell is almost all gone except for a very faint odor at times. Any other suggestions? Is there anything wrong with doubling up on the wax rings? I thought about putting a seal of silicone caulk around the base...but I haven't done that as yet as I worry about a water leak and not be aware of before its too late. Any suggestions????

Old 12-20-07, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
odor

hi Mohave,

Is your toilet flange below the level of the floor? Shouldn't need more than one wax ring unless theres a large gap. If it is below the flooring level, I'd get a flange extender and caulk and screw that down, then go with the wax ring with the moulded poly "funnel" in it.

Also, I've found putting the ring on the toilet and ensuring its well sealed, then setting the toilet on the flange works for me. I'm sure others like to put it on the flange first, to each their own.

When you have it in place, and after enuf use to ensure its not leaking, run a bead of caulk around the front and sides, leaving a gap at the back for leak detection. Though, if you have a plywood sub-floor, it will probably soak in and rot that out before you even notice any leakage.

Last hint, put some soda straws over the bolts, very easy to guide the bolts through the holes that way, before you let the wax ring make contact.

Best in 2008

Old 12-20-07, 10:07 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
have you considered flange extension rings?

http://store.quickfixplumbingproduct...nsion-kit.html

There are also PVC extensions in 1" and 2" height, but I don't have a link for them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: