Faucet Leak and Sprayer (2 Posts Merged)

Old 12-27-07, 08:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faucet Leak and Sprayer (2 Posts Merged)

I sure would appreciate some help here. We had a leak from our Moen cartridge faucet, single-handle. It leaked from the faucet itself (runs down outside of it) and also underneath the faucet (runs from underneath down the bottom of the basin and dripped into the cabinet). I replaced the cartridge; the leak on the faucet itself appears to have stopped, but it's still leaking underneath. I can see a plug/nut of some sort with some green stuff around it, and rust under there. Sorry, I don't know what to call that part.

Also, our sprayer is connected there, but not straight down, it's offset. I hope that makes sense to somebody and you can visualized what I mean.

Our sprayer never has had much force to it, so we don't use it. I was wondering...is it possible for me to replace that sprayer connection with a different type and thereby stop the leak and have a sprayer that we can actually use?

If that's not practical, can someone just tell me how to fix our leak? Thanks.

Old 12-29-07, 07:36 PM
M
Second Cry For Help

A couple of days ago I posted questions for a problem we have..."Faucet Leak and Sprayer". I haven't gotten any responses. I would appreciate any help out there. Am I doing this the wrong way, in the wrong place? Is there somewhere else I should post this? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-07, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Sorry, sometimes we scan too fast and miss posts. You say the connection for the sprayer is sitting offset? It may be the sprayer is cross threaded, thus the green cupric oxide. It held for a while, but now the cross threading is giving way to a leak. I know taking the entire unit out is a PITA, but you will like working on it better out of the sink rather than upside down laying on a bag of dog food. Turn off the water, reach up and remove the fasteners holding the unit on the sink, and pull it out. It won't come all the way out since the sprayer tubing is looped to another hole. Turn it upside down, loosen the sprayer hose and inspect it and the hole in the faucet boss to ensure the threads are still intact. Use teflon tape on the threads of the sprayer connection and reattach it into the boss, being very careful not to cross thread them this time. Once it is seated, you should have no leak and can reinstall the unit onto the sink. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-30-07, 12:26 PM
M
Re: Faucet Leak and Sprayer

Thanks for the reply. I knew I wouldn't explain this well. When I say the sprayer is offset, I don't mean it's crooked, although it could be. Before I try your method, let me make sure you understand what I'm saying.

It has a plug/bolt in the bottom of the shaft where the faucet is, under the cartridge, where I suppose something, i.e., sprayer, could be attached. (I assume that's normal.) But instead of the sprayer being attached directly to the bottom in place of the plug, it's tube/hose is attached on the side of that shaft (boy I wish I knew the names for this stuff), sort of like a bypass. Although it's possible the sprayer tube may be part of that plug, it looks like they're separate. The leak is apparently around the plug. Also, the sprayer tube where it attaches is skinny and plastic, like PVC, then it becomes a wider flex hose. Can you picture this? Should I still try what you say?

Old 12-30-07, 01:17 PM
OK, do this. Take a couple of digital pictures up into the back of the sink and post them on a site such as photobucket.com, so we can see what you see. I think that will be worth 2000 words, and we can give you better answers.

Old 12-30-07, 04:39 PM
M
There's a picture at photobucket.com under the username milamarie_photo. Because of the angle I could really only get one view, but I think it's a good one and will tell you what you need to know. The hose coming out to the right is the sprayer hose. Thanks for your patience and effort to help me.

Old 12-30-07, 05:57 PM
Go on photobucket, log on and when your page comes up, copy the url and paste it to a post so we can go to it. We can't go to photobucket and log on using your name.

Old 12-31-07, 07:34 AM
M
Sorry. Here you go. I think you could've logged on with your info and then gone to my username, but if this works, great.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...lamarie_photo/

Thanks again

Old 12-31-07, 05:52 PM
E
Your photo came up. Pretty colors too, like an artists pallet.

You need to identify exactly where that leak is coming from, by wiping area dry and then observing under every operating condition like:

When faucet is off, make sure it don't leak then.

Then check to see if/where it leaks when faucet just runs.

Or if/where it leaks when sprayer is used.

And also make sure water is not dribbling out of the sprayer head when it is put back in the holder, becasue then it can run down the hose to underneath the sink and drip off the hose down there.

Old 12-31-07, 05:59 PM
I'm not liking the green. It tells me there is a possible pinhole in the sprayer tube. Since it is ganged against the main boss, it could be something there. But aside from removing the entire unit and testing under pressure and moving the drop tube a little, you may not know for sure.

Old 01-02-08, 12:53 PM
M
Thanks. I've missed my window of opportunity and am now back to work. It'll be Saturday before I can do anything else with it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-08, 06:06 PM
M
Update

Well, it's been over a week now, and I'm leak free. I took the advice of a couple of you and first, as ecman51 suggested, I checked it more closely, trying different things, etc., and it looked like the leak was possibly coming from the aerator. I already knew I needed to replace the aerator because it was leaking too. However, I didn't think it had anything to do with the leak that was coming from underneath.

Then, because of chandler's warning that working with this would be a pain, I took the easy way and waited to see if, by chance, that solved it. So far, so good. The leak was running down the faucet, into the inside, and out the bottom.

It's looks pretty nasty under there, so I know this may only be temporary. We'll see.

ps: I am a little disappointed though. I was hoping this would give me a double excuse to replace the sprayer with one that actually had some power to it, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Oh well, maybe later.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: