Shower Diverter Problem (Moen)

Old 12-29-07, 12:08 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Diverter Problem (Moen)

2 months ago I installed a brand new Moen 3 handle shower assembly (Hot-Diverter-Cold) for a rental unit. It worked fine for 6 or 7 weeks and now the Diverter is 'frozen' in the shower position.
I cannot turn the knob in either direction.
I removed the handle, unscrewed the seating nut, but the little stem would not budge, I tried pulling gentle with a pliers, but I didn't want to break the plastic at 10pm and have a problem for the weekend.
Will more force work, or am I missing a step?
Why would a diverter just freeze in 1 position on a new unit? Could the tenant have "over-turned" the knob in one direction and snapped off a piece that would lock it in position? Any Idea or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thx. Vince

Old 01-06-08, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on what type of piping is leading to this faucet, it might just be dirt/debri to blame.

Brute force along with the specific pulling tool is recommended to remove the cartridge. Make sure you buy an OEM cartridge to go back in.

Once the cartridge is removed, turn the water back on with a bucket handy to divert the water into the bucket instead of hitting the wall. This will remove the remaining dirt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: