Lead ring on my shower drain pipe after I removed base

Old 12-29-07, 07:30 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lead ring on my shower drain pipe after I removed base

I just removed my old, I mean old, shower base. It was cement or clay something like that. There was a cast iron ring surrounding a lead-like ring that went around the drain pipe. I'm pretty sure that was part of the old base but before I remove that lead collar I want to know if I should. Any help would be great.
Thanks
GW

Old 12-30-07, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Do you have access to under the shower unit, crawlspace basement, etc? If so, I would replace the shower trap unit with a modern PVC one, tying it to your, I assume, cast iron drain system via a Fernco fitting. That way you are getting new stuff to attach your new shower to.

Old 12-30-07, 02:49 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No I don't. It's a cement floor in a basement. The drain comes out of the floor and is surrounded by sand. I was 90% sure that ring had to come off. I think that what you're saying. Looking at the specs for the new shower drain (32" corner unit) it looked like I shouldn't need that lead ring.
All that said, how would you say I get that off. The drain pipe moves around a little bit and I'd realllllly hate to break it off.
Thanks
Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: