how to attach new drain pipe on pedestal to wall stub

Old 01-01-08, 08:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to attach new drain pipe on pedestal to wall stub

We just moved into a new apt in NY (old building). I would like to replace the pedestal sink in the bathroom. Currently the way the drain is hooked up looks terrible. There is a typical chrome piping assembly that is attached to the wall stub with one of those Fernco rubber connectors with hose clamps. The pipe from the sink is 1 1/4" and the wall stub which seems to be metal is 1 1/2". I want to clean up the piping as it is all visible. I want to install a bottle drain but am unsure how to attach it to wall stub (which seems to stick out about 1 1/2" from wall. The Fernco thing is just too bulky with the hose clamps. Not sure if the wall stub has any threads on it (or would the threaded nut assembly be on the new pipe for the bottle drain assembly)? If so, how would I attach 1 1/4" drain pipe to 1 1/2" wall stub? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-08, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If the wall stub is 1 1/2" (and I think you will see it is really 2"), and is a plain piece of pvc, you can glue a male adapter to it that will step it down to 1 1/2". Your 1 1/4" waste arm will go directly into this, but you will need to buy a 1 1/4" washer to go over it. That washer has the same OD as your 1 1/2, but the ID of 1 1/4 adapting it properly. Tighten the nut over the washer onto the male adapter and you should be good to go. Let us know if this works or not, or if your application is different.

Old 01-02-08, 07:11 AM
D
Chandler,
Sorry about the double post....I wasn't sure if I posted to the right area at first.
The stub pipe is actually metal. I couldn't remove the Fernco coupling without cutting it, and since I did not have a spare one, I'm not sure whether the wall stud pipe has threads on it or not. The coupling is definitely 1 1/4" x 1 1/2" (printed on it).
The more I think about it, I want to maybe reuse a rubber coupling but want to cover it with a chrome box escutcheon. A 3" diameter escutcheon will cover it, but I need something that is like 2 3/4" deep as this is how far the Fernco coupling protrudes frokm wall. Does anyone make a box escutcheon that deep? I haven't been able to find anything like that. Thanks.

Old 01-04-08, 06:53 AM
D
Does anyone know of a manufacturer/company that makes a deep box bell escutcheon for 1 1/4" darin pipe in chrome that is 3" wide and at least 3" deep?
Thanks.

Old 01-04-08, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
escutcheon

Hi Dave...
I see no replies yet. Prob because no one has seen one this big. Have you tried a plumbing supply house?

Heres a thought...I know it seems kinda makeshift, but it might work. How bout one of those add-on chromed exhaust tips for a truck? Cut it long enuf to keep the end inside the pedestal, caulk the part to the wall?

Sometimes ya have to be creative...

Old 01-08-08, 09:06 AM
M
Two questions: If you are in an apartment, why are you doing this and not the landlord? Also, are you aware that bottle traps are illegal in most places?

Old 01-08-08, 09:44 AM
D
When I say apartment, I mean a co-op apartment, which means that we own/do not rent it.
They sell bottle traps in NYC, so I'd assume that they're legal. However, they are very expensive, so I had rethought it and decided to use a regular p-trap. However, the issue still is that there is an old metal pipe sticking out of the wall about 3/4", and the previous owner/plumber used a Fernco rubber connector. I am not sure if there are usable threads under the rubber connector. I will have to cut it to find out as it is stuck on the wall stub. If there are no usable threads on pipe, I will need to use another rubber connector as I know of no other way to connect chrome pipe to wall stub unless I am missing something.

Old 01-08-08, 10:09 AM
M
Originally Posted by Dave4242 View Post
They sell bottle traps in NYC, so I'd assume that they're legal.
A moot point now, but that's a very bad assumption. Lots of things can be purchased that are in fact illegal for the intended application, for plumbing and other things.

I'd be surprised if there aren't some threads on that stub coming out of the wall. I am surprised, though, that it would be 1-1/2". Sink drains are nearly always 1-1/4". But that might explain the Fernco. If there are threads, you could use a reducer to go to 1-1/4" and then connect the trap the regular way.

Old 01-08-08, 10:49 AM
D
I'd be surprised if there aren't some threads on that stub coming out of the wall. I am surprised, though, that it would be 1-1/2". Sink drains are nearly always 1-1/4". But that might explain the Fernco. If there are threads, you could use a reducer to go to 1-1/4" and then connect the trap the regular way.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm hoping is that there are threads on the pipe so i won't need the Fernco (which is definitely 1 1/4" x 1 1/2"). it's just that the Fernco is so bulky with the hose clamps, etc, that i can't find anything chrome to cover it (unless I use 2 deep bell escutcheons). Let's hope there are threads under the Fernco.