Fiberglass tub drain

Old 01-08-08, 09:27 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass tub drain

Getting ready to rip out the old fiberglass tub and convert to a shower stall. I'm assuming that the chrome drain fitting is screwed into the drain line. Is a special tool required to remove/intall the drain fitting?

Old 01-09-08, 12:52 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Re: "I'm assuming that the chrome drain fitting is screwed into the drain line."

Well, sort of. The tub overflow is actually connected by pipe to the tub drain and then this combined pipe goes to the house drain line. Just unscrewing the tub drain would leave the overflow piping still connected. And, drain fittings are notorious for corroding in place after years of use - not easy to unscrew! Good plumbing practice is to provide some means of access to this under-tub plumbing for repair purposes. Usually this is the wall behind the head of the tub. My suggestion is to cut an access hole in this wall (just through the drywall, the width of the studs, say 16x16") to allow you to reach in and disconnect the tub drain pipe from the house drain. Since you're remodeling things, it'd be just fine to make this job easier and hacksaw the tub drain pipe off just above the house drain.

Old 01-10-08, 08:21 AM
K
tub drain

Thanks!
I was looking at the fitting last night, did not see anyway from getting at it from the top. Would not have thought about the overflow, thought it was integral to the tub not a seperate pipe. Time to break out the sawzall and go at it.

Old 01-23-08, 07:08 AM
K
Tub Drain

Measured the doors and realized I had to cut the tub up to get it out. Saved the drain end for last. The drain ended up being the screw in type. McGivered a wrench because the hardware store was closed, came right out.

Next question. Will the shower stall drain correctly without the overflow acting as a vent? I'ts hard to tell but I think the sinks, toilet and old bath are plumbed to a common vent line. so I'm assuming it will work, just double checking before I start drywalling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: