Toilet - Weak Flush

Old 01-08-08, 10:20 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet - Weak Flush

I have a two-bathroom condo, one bathroom's toilet flush just fine; the other however, flushes very weakly/slowly. I've already taken the slack out of the handle chain in the tank, which indeed helped somewhat - and i've made sure there's no build-up of some sort inside the rim which might slow the flush flow - but I've still got a weak and slow flush. Any suggestions on how to get my toilet to flush fuller/stronger?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-08-08, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
flush

Hey Dutch,

Hers the main question I have, when you flush, does the tank drain completely? Take the lid off the back and watch it as it goes thru a complete cycle. Compare it to the one that works fine (are they the same brand/style). Make sure they are filling to the same level, and that the flapper closes at about the same time.

You said you took the slack out of the flapper chain? There has to be some slack, or the flapper won't open fully and will be pulled back down to the flush valve too early in the flush cycle.

There could also be some blockage in the vent for the slow toilet. Are they on the same floor? If not, are they right above each other?

Give a little more info, and someone will have the right answer.

Old 01-08-08, 11:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add'l Info

Thanks for the insight Vic.

To answer some of your questions,
- I took just enough slack out so that the flapper would stay raised throughout the whole cycle, and then close when the tank was emptied. That being said, I'll doublecheck to make sure the tank empties completely before the flapper shuts.
- Also, the two toilets are on the same level, and are basically back-to-back (if viewing the floorplan). The toilets also, to my knowledge, are the same brand/style.

Before this problem, I had a slow drain problem from the tank into the toilet because the flapper was warped. So I replaced the flapper and shortened the slack so that the drip/drain was resolved, and the flapper stayed elevated enough for the tank to drain into the toilet to assist with the flush.

So, I'm getting there, but the flush is still noticeably weaker than it should be...

Thanks again!

Old 01-09-08, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
flush

well, sounds like yer making some progress.

Has this always been a problem? Or did it just start? Any visitors about the time it happened? Those little rubber ducks in the toilet can cause problems...lol.

If its always been this way, who knows, maybe the waste lines aren't as good as they should be for the slow flusher?

Best of luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: