PVC pipe for tub/shower valve

Old 01-10-08, 01:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question PVC pipe for tub/shower valve

Hello all,

I am replacing the shower/tub diverter valve (single handle, moen) in my shower- I have the drywall all torn away and full access to all the plumbing. The old valve was sweat welded in place, and had to be cut out. The new valve, of course, is threaded.

I picked up some compression adapters to install the new one, and I'm still getting a slow leak from them, but the real killer is the plumbing for the tub spout, which I am replacing entirely. I Picked up some more copper tubing, elbows, and a small torch/soldering kit, but can't seem to get the soldering mastered (solder melts, then just slides off the joint). To make matters worse, one of the older sweat joints is now leaking, probably from overtightening one of the compression fittings.

What I would like to do is just cut out the old copper piping around the valve, and replace it with PVC, which would be so much easier to work with. I've used PVC before for lawn sprinkler systems, but never for in house plumbing. Is this a possibility? I think home depot has copper-to-PVC adapters? Is there anything else I should know before attempting this?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Old 01-10-08, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Answered in the plumbing forum. Double posting only confuses the already confused.

Old 01-10-08, 04:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks again and sorry for the double post- wasn't sure which discussion this would fall under.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: