Shower diverter problem

Old 01-10-08, 07:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shower diverter problem

I just replaced the entire (Sayco) diverter stem in my bathroom tub/shower. Everything went in fine, but now, after I turn on the water and then turn the diverter knob, I get water from both the tub spout and the showerhead. It seems to be diverting some of the water to the shower, but not all. I've replaced diverters before and they all worked fine...is there something I'm missing on this installation?

Old 01-11-08, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! During installation, it is highly possible some of the crud in the water lines was dislodged and now rests in your diverter area. Disassembling it and purging with water for a few seconds should clear it up. Is the diverter part of the control valve?

Old 01-11-08, 07:23 PM
D
No, the diverter valve is a separate piece. I'll make sure everything is cleaned out and reinstall it...thanks.

Old 01-12-08, 04:18 PM
D
Thumbs down Still acting up...

I cleaned it and checked it all out, but I'm still having the same problem...turn on the shower and half the water still comes out the tub spout.

Old 01-12-08, 06:28 PM
If we are talking about a typical three handle tub/shower, the diverter stem has a second washer on it, behind the nose piece. That is the washer which prevents water from going to the spout when shower is selected. It may have been missing, or damaged during install, Also, it is important when installing all 3 of those stems, that they NOT be turned towards the closed position. They should be 1/2 to 3/4 to the open direction. Otherwise, you will damage the parts and may have issues like leaks and etc.

Old 01-13-08, 09:18 AM
D
I'll check the washers to make sure everything is there and not damaged. I did install it with the stem open, so hopefully I didn't damage anything.

Old 01-13-08, 01:00 PM
D
Angry

Man, this one has me going! All of the washers and o-rings are in place and intact. I've rechecked the valve itself to make sure nothing is still in there, and everything checks out fine. I just can't figure out why this isn't working. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Old 01-14-08, 05:28 PM
C
diverter issue

Well my husband and I just went through this yesterday. Our problem was finally solved. When you bought the new diverter you should have gotten a stem w/ an o ring. You have to slide that oring on the end that is going into the wall. tighten it up as normal and you should be fine. let me know how that works. one other thing. make sure you put a flash light in the pipe you removed the old diverter from, 9 times out of 10 you end up leaving the old oring in place so you need to remove it. good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: