Chrome tub drain flange stuck


  #1  
Old 01-12-08, 12:17 PM
doerf003's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 43
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chrome tub drain flange stuck

I am trying to be my old tub out and it's looking like the chrome drain flange is "welded" in with corrosion (it's going on 40+ years old.) I've tried the plyers/screw driver counter clockwise method, the screaming cursing method (jk), and the beat it with a hammer method. I'm also checked the archives and the only alternatives I can figure out are 1) get a strong guy, 2) buy the special tool 3) break up the cast iron around the drain.

I'm waiting for the call from the strong guy as my first alternative but in the interm any ideas?

DD
 
  #2  
Old 01-13-08, 05:04 AM
J
Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 4,214
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tough to do unless you are a gorilla. And you will like need the special tool, but it is inexpensive. Have you tried to remove it from the underside?? Which is where the gorilla comes in, you have to hold the top while turning the bottom. But sometimes the only way is to carefully saw thru the nut part(top) and split the nut, then pry it out. If you are replacing the tub, forget the carefully part, just saw away.
 
  #3  
Old 01-13-08, 01:52 PM
doerf003's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 43
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wicked laugh - I WON - flange lost!

I got it out! - using the post from:

Mike Swearingen 12-08-04, 09:57 AM

To remove a tub drain with the crosspieces broken out:
1. Use a hacksaw blade to cut a small V notch in the rim.
2. Heat the drain lip with a hair dryer on high heat to soften the old putty.
3. Use a hammer and chisel or flathead screwdriver to tap the drain around counter-clockwise to unscrew and remove it.

However I used a Dremmel with cutoff tool to notch a V in the rim & also 1/2 way down inside the flange. Then tried the dryer (don't know if it helped) and the tapping (to no avail). Had to do a fair about of serious hardcore whacking (good thing I'm replacing tub!) with the hammer and chisel, this pryed up a 1/2" section but it still wasn't turning. At that point I thought I'd have to cut the whole thing out and so notched the other side and did more whacking & voila it started to move!! Retried plyers/screw driver method but wasn't loose enough - continued tapping courter-clockwise and it did finally(!) unscrew. Will post pix in Did it Myself! for reference. Thank you all for ideas (current & past posters!)

D
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: