water leaking from water supply line

Old 01-13-08, 08:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water leaking from water supply line

My husband unscrewed the water supply line and he screwed it back on and now there is water leaking from it. The higher the pressure of water is turned on the harder and faster it leaks. Don't know why it is leaking.

Old 01-13-08, 08:57 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
We need MUCH more information. Why did your husband unscrew the "water supply line" and where is this line? Is it the main water line to the house or is it a supply line to a sink, toilet or bathtub?

Pictures are always helpful. Pictures can be uploaded to a photo hosting site and the URL posted here.

Old 01-14-08, 06:38 AM
T
In the absence of more information - tell hubby to get some teflon tape or pipe dope to coat the threads (after he unscrews it again - wraps/coats it - and screws it back together). The tape/dope acts as a lubricant and allows a tighter connection - hopefully leakproof.

Old 01-14-08, 11:09 AM
J
water supply line leaking

He unscrewed the water supply line to the toilet. Why he unscrewed it is beyond me. I was too mad to ask him. It looks as if something is not fitting right. It is leaking where the compression fitting screws onto the threaded ball-**** tailpiece.

Old 01-14-08, 11:30 AM
T
Originally Posted by jks3581 View Post
Why he unscrewed it is beyond me. I was too mad to ask him.

ROFLOL - I love it! - that says it all... (Poor guy)...

Let's back up a bit... your terminology has me stymied a bit.... What is the "compression fitting screws onto the threaded ball-**** tailpiece"? Can you define it a tad better and/or post pictures?

Calm down, have a beer (or glass of wine) and get more specific on your descriptions.... Hubby was trying (bless his soul) to fix some sort of problem... so let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now.... (We can call him an idiot later)....

Old 01-14-08, 12:25 PM
J
I am not even sure my terminology is correct. I was checking around other web sites to try and get the correct names for everything. Anyways, I am putting a link to the picture of the water supply line up, that should help. It is leaking from the white thing you screw onto the other white thing that is in the toilet(I think it is called the refill valve?).

IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/jks3581/048.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-08, 03:38 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the fittings are plastic, something split. I have changed out many fill valves to toilets and have run into this. The white plastic nut itself can split. So can the gray plastic fill-valve's plastic threaded pipe that hangs down below the toilet, that the 2 white plastic nuts screw onto.

The crack can be so fine that it almost takes a magnifying glass to see, sometimes. But that indeed is the cause. You have to replace whatever is split, obviously.

By design they WANT to split, because you are forcing something cone-shaped into a beveled hole, and the tighter you tighten it, the more it is going to try to split.

On the bottom end where the shut-off valve is, usually there is a shut-off valve with a 3/8 inch chrome nut. Those TOO can split, especially if the nut is a thin-walled foreign made one as compared to the heavier American made one.

It is always an indication of a split whenever you tighten a joint leak, when the more you tighten it, the more it leaks.

Old 01-14-08, 03:45 PM
T
Fascinating - I've never seen a toilet supply line plumbed like that before.

ecman is more than likely correct - which means a trip to the local hardware store for replacement parts. Turn off the water supply at the floor - unscrew the parts at the toilet - and head to the plumbing section. I would guess you're looking at no more than $20 in parts - and that will get you a whole new fill valve assembly - considerably less if you're able to buy the individual couplings....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: