knocking (or hammering) infaucet

Old 01-14-08, 06:18 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
knocking (or hammering) infaucet

The Hot water side of the main bathroom sink faucet makes a knocking (or Jack hammer) sound if you turn it on even only half way--if you trun both hot and cold on--no hammering--it takes a long time to get hot water this way, and it seems like you can turn it on less now and the hammering starts sooner (like it's getting worse). Any ideas?

Old 01-15-08, 09:36 PM
New water heater or Moen faucet-one handle?

Old 01-16-08, 02:42 PM
D
The water heater was replaced about one year before this issue--the faucet is a traditional two handle (hot side/cold side), with center spicket (? - where the water comes out). the faucet was about one year old when it started--at first I thought it was air in the line, but I would think after months, it would work out, and it is the only faucet (of three, including the tub) that does it.

Old 01-16-08, 04:10 PM
You could always drain the whole system by turning off the main, open all faucets, close them and turn the main back on. If you have air chambers they will fill with air. Good luck!

Old 01-16-08, 06:19 PM
T
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but recently moved into a rental. The bathroom faucet knocks and screams when I turn on the water. I try just hot. I try a mix of hot and cold. I try cold. I have not deduced exactly when the problem occurs. It's unnerving. A friend told me it was because there is no air gap. I told the maintenance man this and he looked at me like I was from Venus. Of course, men are from Mars, and I am no plumber. Fortunately, the condo on the wall opposite of my bathroom sink is empty. If I heard such a sound in the middle of the night, I would likely be terrified because I live alone.

Old 01-16-08, 06:31 PM
Do you mean air chamber?

Old 01-16-08, 08:10 PM
T
From an ex-building contractor which supplied me with this term:
An "air gap" (pumbing terminology) is a piece of copper tubing which is tee'd off of the fixture above the water cutoff. This pipe is approxomatley 12 to 16 inches in length, consult the plumbing code for the city you live in. It is placed approximatley 1 to 1/1/2 inches from a "T" fixture above the cutoff valve and is elbowed vertical and capped to contain air which equalizes the pressure from the water supply. This stops the knocking from air in the pipes, or air to water mixture which is delivered from the pump station supplying the fixture. In some cases the pipe might be soldered in the horizontal,99.9% in the verticle, but might not pass plumbing codes if placed in the horizontal.

Most or all modern fixtures now by code must have this little extra added extension added to all outlets, hot and cold. If you have an older house, or it was not required by code, it can added by a competent certified master plumber or a knowledgable layman, consult your local laws. You might be able to view the afore mentioned on a plumbing websight or though your local library.

Old 01-16-08, 08:13 PM
T
Thanks, my friend, for letting you respond to my post on my computer. Let it be known, that I appreciate your response. Please tell me what to tell my maintenance man.

Old 01-16-08, 10:56 PM
D
I will try the draining of the system before I go through all that other rig-a-maro--I'll let you know how it turns out

Thanks for your postings

Old 01-17-08, 11:50 AM
Twelvepole, your definition of 'air gap" is what Illinois calls an 'air chamber", a chamber full of air designed to cushion noise in pipes etc. An "air gap" is an actual gap/space of air designed to prevent siphonage. Faucet spouts an inch above a sink rim is good example.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-17-08 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Nonbeneficial information edited.
Old 01-17-08, 05:59 PM
D
You guys aren't going to believe this--we shut the water off and did the whole draining thing--very simple, took all of 5 minutes from start to fininsh, turned the water on and ... bam, bam, bam, bam; still doing it--so my husband figures he's going to have to take the faucet handle apart to fix it, so he reaches under the sink to the water shut off, and finds that the hot water side was just barely even open--he opened it up all the way--and problum solved!! after 8 months of frustration --what a simple fix!!!

Old 01-17-08, 06:13 PM
T
Congratulations! And, how enlightening. When I get back home, I will check my cut off valve,too!

Old 01-17-08, 07:58 PM
Excellent!!! Does not get any better than that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: