sink gurgleing when water runs anywhear else.

Old 01-14-08, 10:11 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sink gurgleing when water runs anywhear else.

We just bought an older home that has been mostly refurbeshed. When we first moved in we had no problem with the pluming. Then we noticed the sink in the kitchen gurgeling when our washer in the basement drained and then when the shower upstairs runs. also our basement drain is backing up and it smells some. I looked it up online and I read about clogged vents and posably frozen vents but i confess I have no idea what a vent is or if we have one. I think the maine pipe going out of our home is clogged or our pipes are too small. The pipes were redon and only 1 1/2 inch. I want to rerun them but will I still have the back pressure im getting now? any idea or sujestion. I would like to avoid a plummer if I can. We just bought a new heater the old one was 40 years old. So we need to catch up befor we drop more money in.

Old 01-15-08, 04:21 AM
J
For plumbing to work right, there has to be a source of air, that is the pipe sticking out of the roof. If that becomes clogged with leaves, ice, dead bird, etc. There still needs to be a source of air, which then comes from other fixtures. It will suck the water out of the traps in other fixtures(the gurgling). When that happens, that fixture is open to the main sewer and the gases can escape(the smell). If you have snow/ice on the roof, best to let someone else go up and free the vent. But running a hose down the vent is usually good enough to clear it. Good idea to have someone in the house to make sure water does not back up into the house thru any of the drains.

Old 01-16-08, 07:38 AM
R
Thanks for the help. It dosent seem anyone installed a vent. Ill have to investagate closer but i dont see anything that resembles one. yet another project.

Old 01-16-08, 08:05 AM
B
Boy does your problem sound familiar! We, too have a remodeled old house & our plumbing seemed to be fine for awhile and just last year it started acting like yours did. We have a vent in our attic and I think they just took the cap off of it....works fine now. (Actually they just took the cap off in December). They said that they will have to re-vent it or something; but for now things are working fine.

I am a woman, and I don't know much about it....I just know that when things don't work right, something's gotta be done!! I hope maybe this will help you, possibly locate the vent in your attic. Mine is like a white pvc pipe about 3-4" in diameter and sticks up about 8-10"....I am just guessing from what I remember...I didn't go up & measure.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Old 01-17-08, 12:17 AM
R
thanks! We will have to check it out. It may be pluged. Wonder how you know if it needs replaced?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: