Floor height in relation to toilet flange

Old 01-20-08, 06:48 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor height in relation to toilet flange

I tore out an old 1955 bathroom with a concrete subfloor that was several inches thick. I built up the floor with plywood and backerboard and assumed I was at a good height. I have about 1/2 inch from the sub floor to the flange and after I put in my tile flooring I will have about 1/4 inch of clearance under the flange. Is this too much? Should I put another layer of backerboard on the floor? Does the flooring need to be right up to or even with the flange? Could I put plywood just under the flange for the screws and will the toilet skirt cover the gap in the flooring?

Any help will be appreciated!

Old 01-20-08, 11:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You'll be fine. In fact, we usually install the flange on top of the tile floor, so with 1/4", you won't have a problem.

Old 01-21-08, 08:50 AM
T
Chandler, read it again.... as I read it - a 1/4 gap will remain "above" his installed tile... are you suggesting that gap (unsupported flange) is okay?

Old 01-21-08, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Aaah, the old dyslexic number game!! I did re-read Thester, and thanks. 1/4" will have to be shimmed or filled with thinset. However, if you have 1/2" between your subfloor and the bottom of the flange, 1/2"cbu, 3/8" tile and thinset, you should be about 3/8" too high, or at the top of the flange. This presents no problem, as you can always add extension rings.

Old 02-01-08, 07:52 PM
L
Update to toilet flange height issue....

I put in the floor and had about 1/4 inch gap between the flooring and the bottom of the flange. I bought a toilet and when installing it, the toilet sits 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the floor. Very frustrating. Could it be the brand of toilet I choose? It is a Jacuzzi and I noticed that the opening where the wax ring goes is almost flush with the bottom of the toilet. Do some brands have a longer skirt on them that would close the gap?

Do you recommend replacing the cast iron flange? There is no rust, just the issue with the floor. If so, how would you do it?

Thanks, again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: