Shower Drain Installation in Concrete Floor

Old 01-20-08, 02:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Drain Installation in Concrete Floor

Hi,

We had our builder put rough plumbing for a bathroom in the basement. We now want to finish it with tile. The builder just left the 2" pvc piping (shower & sink) and 3" (toilet) sticking out of the concrete floor without a drain or flange. If the shower drain is attached now, it will stick up ~4 inches above the floor. Is there a special tile shower drain and toilet flange that is shorter so I do not have to break out the cement to recess them?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Monica

Old 01-26-08, 09:48 PM
What kind of base are you getting? A standard Mustee base will have your drain about 2inches off the ground.

Old 01-29-08, 05:21 AM
M
Hi,

We are putting in a tile floor. I am looking for a plastic shower drain for tile that will not sit up 4" above the floor. I know we have to put in 2 sloped cement floors (1 under the liner & 1 above), but did not want to raise the floor 4" in the center and 6 on the sides. I was just wondering if there was a special shorter shower drain for tile. I think I will have to break up the floor around the PVC pipe to recess the shower drain.

Msmonica

Old 03-19-08, 04:59 PM
msmonica; I have a new "neo-angle" shower stall with a hard plastic base. The drain is towards the back of the stall about 12" from each wall. My old shower had the drain about 16" inches from each wall. When I removed the old shower the drain pipe was about one inch below floor grade and had 8" of clearance (no cement floor) around it. I had to hammer and curse out about 4 inches of concrete where the new drain needed to go. Then I had to reroute the 1.5 in pvc black plastic pipe to the new drain location, my new shower drain was about 2" lower, so the pvc drain pipe had to be cut off 2" to match up. The hardest part was to get the pipe rerouted to the new location. It was trial and error to make sure it fit before I glued. Your shower is different, however it sounds like you will need to have some of the floor cement removed before you can make any changes to your drain pipe, esp if it is cemented in solid around it. Good luck, I can lend you my big hammer!

Old 03-19-08, 05:59 PM
M
Mike,

Thanks for your input. My husband already broke out the concrete floor around the PVC pipe. During my research I found that our builder should have either put a small form around the PVC pipe or a rubber gasket (removed when needed) before pouring the concrete. Oh coarse he did not and that is what lead us to breaking out the concrete around the pipe. We found the best way to do this with minimal dust (saws are awful), is to drill many holes around the pipe and then use a concrete chisel. Worked much better than a concrete saw (horrible dust). Hope this helps someone else.

Msmonica

Old 03-15-11, 05:17 PM
M
It will help me. I poured my little bathroom floor right up to the shower drain pipe. I was looking at how it is supposed to go together. I guess now I know. I will use your hole drilling method. I know that it works well. Thank you.

Old 03-15-11, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by msmonica View Post
Hi,

We are putting in a tile floor. I am looking for a plastic shower drain for tile that will not sit up 4" above the floor. I know we have to put in 2 sloped cement floors (1 under the liner & 1 above), but did not want to raise the floor 4" in the center and 6 on the sides. I was just wondering if there was a special shorter shower drain for tile. I think I will have to break up the floor around the PVC pipe to recess the shower drain.

Msmonica
Are you sure that the pipe sticking out of the floor is for a shower? it should be 2in i.d. and have a trap BELOW the floor, if you don't have a trap you will have to break the concrete and install one. ( You can't hook up a shower if you don't have a trap, you would have a wide open sewer line!!)

Your drain for the shower is flush with the tile floor and hooks to the 2in pipe comming thru it, THE DRAIN SHOULD NOT BE SITTING ABOVE THE FLOOR!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: