Low pressure in shower and tub

Old 01-21-08, 10:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low pressure in shower and tub

We installed a new Moen one handle faucet in the shower/tub. The water pressure both from shower head and tub spout is really low, can't even fill the tub. What could be a possible reason? We bought the house and started remodeling immediately, never used the shower before the remodeling, so not sure if it was the same way before. We kept the old posi-temp valve and bought a faucet to match it. Also, the water pressure in the sinks in the same bathroom is just fine. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-08, 12:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most single lever faucets (ccw cold to hot) will have a temperature limit and pressure limit under the hood. Remove the handle and the cover to see if you have a notched cam like nylon gear sitting back there. Let us know what you find, or post a picture of it on a site such as photobucket.com and post the HTML code in your reply.

Old 01-21-08, 01:46 PM
T
I had the same problem with a Moen faucet assembly in a guest bathroom that had been remodeled 15 years earlier. I simply replaced the cartridge and the problem went away (approx. $19).... No temp adjustments available on the older units....

Old 01-23-08, 05:58 AM
N
same problem

I also have a Moen single handle positemp faucet (Chateau model) in my guest bath shower/tub. When you turn the handle to hot water the pressure is really low, but the cold pressure is fine. I have no pressure problem anywhere else is the house. I have already checked the temperature regulator underneath the handle and that did not fix it. Will changing the cartridge help this problem? Or do I need to do something else?

Old 01-23-08, 08:12 AM
T
Sounds like an issue with the moen cartridges... Your problem is "exactly" what I was experiencing - even though I couldn't see any issues with the old cartridge. Faced with no other options - I replaced the cartridge - and "voila" - no more pressure issues on the hot side.

Old 01-26-08, 04:29 PM
N
Problem solved!

Well, I just bought a new Moen cartridge from gnome deepoe for $39. I turned off the water to the house, pulled out the old cartridge, and installed the new one. When I turned the water back on the pressure problem on the hot side was gone.
Thanks for the help!

Old 01-27-08, 01:16 PM
B
IT is a brand new valve

Just to add it is a brand new Moen valve.

Old 01-27-08, 03:48 PM
B
problem solved

Problem was beyond the plastic gear. I removed the cover, then the plastic gear and notched metal tube to uncover the valve itself. There is adjustment valves on each hot and cold water side. All I had to do is open hot water valve half a turn with a flat head screwdriver - and there you go, water pressure is almost even on both cold and hot water. I'm sure with some more adjustments I can make it perfectly even.
Thanks all for your help.

Old 01-08-09, 09:41 AM
M
Moen Chateau - Lack of control of pressure

Hi.

We have installed a new single-control faucet with newly-installed plumbing. From the other posts, it sounds like you set the pressure behind the wall and it stays the same for each and every bath/shower. ??? (yikes)

Is there no way to regulate the pressure using the handle itself?

(i.e. push/pull as in our other shower)

Thanks in advance
mseon

Old 01-08-09, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
mseon...always best to start your own thread if you have a question or problem. I'm not sure what you are asking.

The post by bsavov is actually incomplete..those little valves he spoke of are not adjustments, they are built in cutoff valves. They should be full on or full off, not used to regulate pressure.

The valve should regulate pressure by pulling the handle in or out and temperature by turning cw or ccw.

Old 01-08-09, 02:53 PM
M
Thank you for your reply.

The problem is, it does NOT go in and out as one would expect.

I have re-posted under a new thread as you suggested.

Thanks again,
mseon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: