Bathroom Sink Drain-flange repair

Old 01-22-08, 12:34 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bathroom Sink Drain-flange repair

Last night my bathroom basin/sink leaked by where the drain pipe joins the bottom of the sink - when I examined the flange at the drain hole - it had corroded at the threads/joint and basically broken off -

I may be using the wrong terminology -
so here are some pics -

There is obviously a gap now at the joint -

Close up -

I thought it might be simple to repair - just take the flange to a Home Depot/Lowes and ask what I need to repair this ......

But I thought I'd ask here first
- what parts should I be getting?
and any hints/advice in making this repair.

Also the pop-up plug is now broken at the point where the horizontal pivot rod/actuator connects
- what do I do to ensure that is adjusted correctly for the new replacement - so I don't break the new one too, and the plug seals well enough so it does not leak?

Many thanks for any advice or pointers to instructions.

--

Old 01-22-08, 02:00 PM
T
Take your broken tailpiece assembly (the metal pipe part)to your local box store or plumbing supply house. You should be able to easily get a replacement part (s) for less than $20. You'll need some teflon tape or pipe dope to lubricate the threads prior to screwing parts together - and some plumbers putty (couple of bucks for more than you'll ever use) to seal the drain to the sink. Take note of how everything came apart - it's fairly much common sense to put it all back together new. If I'm not mistaken - many repair kits will also come with detailed instructions on how it all goes together. If not - get your parts together - and post any unanswered questions you come up with.

Old 01-23-08, 10:06 AM
U
Thumbs up

Thank you for the reply and advice.

I took just the flange to a Lowes - and they don't sell just the flange - they had the entire kit - ie: the straight part of the down-pipe with all the pop-up plug and mechanism - these were indeed in the $11-$25 price range in the stores I looked in - they're 1-1/4" bathroom sink drain assemblies.

So far I can't see much, if any, real difference between them - I'll probably just buy an entire assembly, since it seems that I can't easily get just the top flange and replacement plug.

Fitting does seem commonsense - and I already have some plumbers' putty and teflon tape for the job.

Thank you again for the response, and kind advice.

Old 01-23-08, 10:37 AM
T
That's why we're here - good luck... and happy plumbing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: