Garage sink

Old 01-23-08, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage sink

I want to put a sink in my garage but I am concerned about freezing pipes (garage is not heated and I like in Northern KY). The location would have easy access to pass through an insulated wall and then into the basement. Any suggestions or experience on how risky this is (for freezing) or experiences witha similar project? Do I need to wrry about the drain trap freezing?

Old 01-23-08, 02:23 PM
D
Garage sink

If you will have a good down hill flow with the drain, put your trap inside the wall to the basement where it won't freeze.

You could also make your trap from pvc elbows with a reducer pipe on the bottom of the trap with a valve which would empty the trap in cold weather.

Old 01-26-08, 12:16 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hey neighbor, When it was 4 degrees yesterday, the back corner of my garage was still in the low 40's. The side wall abuts the house If it got below zero for any length of time outside, I would start to worry. Could you use frost free valves coming thru the wall and then feed the sink faucets. You could then shut off the frost free when not using the sink and open the sink faucets. Duke of has good ideas for the trap. By the way, I'm in the northwest area of Hamilton county, Ohio.

Old 01-30-08, 05:31 AM
I think I have a plan

I think this is where I am going to land -

trap in the bsmt
std faucet with easy to reach shut-offs inside for the coldest times.
"winter faucet" - frost free hose for winter use

I like the idea of the frost frees too (thanks to my neighbor!). I've seen some very cool frost-frees that have both hot and cold taps in a single handle. I might mount one of these up high with a hose attached to use in the winter when I have turned the water off to the regular faucet. It might also be nice for washing the car on a cold day!

thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: